• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Scope, First Scope

Tezrez

Hi, finally got a new second hand scope, Megrez WO 90mm. Been shopping at Rother Valley for a 8mm Delos eyepiece straight after purchase of scope which was on offer.

Put it on my camera tripod, Found Jupiter to my amazement and 3 moons WOW. Then Saturn with its rings bigger wow.

So been shopping again, Tele vue 2 times Power Mate, but need a proper mount now. 

So sold a few bits and bought a AZ EQ6 GT last Saturday with dovetail,power supply and Scope mounting rings.

Unpacked everything great, 2 washers missing, but managed to erect ok. tried to plug in power supply but Skywatcher don't supply the Power Supply, seems foolish so you can't operate it from box,stupid, as connection was wrong type that I bought from Rother Valley.

So hit the net and ordered right one to fit 12v FAG lighter plug which seems a bit antiquated.

Now no Polar scope either, optional extra, another £100!

So with all this gear I have no idea now, Do I need a polar scope as I have ordered a guide scope and camera?

Can I just use the guide scope or software?

Thanks Tez

Your mount has both EQ and AZ drives.

If you want to do photography or need the mount to track the stars perfectly then you need the polar scope and use the mount in EQ mode. If you want to use the mount in AZ mode then you do not need to polar align so no need for the polar scope.

It all depends on how accurate you want to be, just setting your latitude to 52° will be enough for a basic track.

Edited by Doc

Exciting times.

I have a polar scope. That's a spare. It's for an eq5. Maybe some one can say if it will fit the azeq6? Probably not but if you are not far away and it's any use give me a shout and will see what we can do.

Either way... enjoy your new kit.

Steve

Nice setup Terry - congrats!

I thought the AZEQ6GT comes complete with a polar scope? Mine did... it's pretty essential for imaging so I would query the retailer about that. But it's quite common to provide your own power supply. Hth :)