• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1908 Zeiss Catalogue

That is really nice Mick. Thanks for sharing.

Some very unusual stuff in that.

If any of that equipment came up for sale now, it would be worth many times its 1908 value :)

Fascinating seeing the kind of gear being used at the turn of the century. Quite surprising how a lot of it is similar to today's rigs - though today's gear is more refined. Nice find Mick. :)

The pictures tell it all though Mick, it's a heck of a range of gear! From eyepieces, telescopes, spectrometry, photography equipment to mounts.

The level of engineering that went into the instruments etc is 'magnifique'!

The 'slide off roof/shed' in fig 9. Is worth a look.

The mechanical drive systems using weights etc in fig 14, 15 etc. blimey!

The 400mm scope and accessories in fig 18 is impressive!

The Huygens, Kellner and orthoscopic eyepieces are interesting...

Altogether an interesting find and well worth a look through...

Oh it is nice to see a scope I own in that catalogue, even if it is the smallest. ☺

Hi Andy, that's interesting about your Zeiss scope, I had a look at the spec etc and it looks a good piece of kit - do you use it much? The focusser looks very different to what we see usually see. Cheers!

Hi Andy, that's interesting about your Zeiss scope, I had a look at the spec etc and it looks a good piece of kit - do you use it much? The focusser looks very different to what we see usually see. Cheers!

It's a lovely little scope. It makes me smile the amount of people who see it and think it's a cheap tasco, but then you'll see some people who will spot it a mile away and make a b-line to it.

Still use it for planetary, in fact I took it to the last stargazing live outreach session at long eaton. unfortunately I don't have the original eyepieces but it has been converted to take 1.25. I must add it's a purchased adaptor, no mackling with this scope.

The focuser is something else. I'm sure you get the gist but it's like the whole scope is a Crayford focuser with the objective moving in the ota and the eyepiece stays in place.

You would be more than welcome to have a nose sometime. I am quite proud of it.

• Like 1

It's a lovely little scope. It makes me smile the amount of people who see it and think it's a cheap tasco, but then you'll see some people who will spot it a mile away and make a b-line to it.

Still use it for planetary, in fact I took it to the last stargazing live outreach session at long eaton. unfortunately I don't have the original eyepieces but it has been converted to take 1.25. I must add it's a purchased adaptor, no mackling with this scope.

The focuser is something else. I'm sure you get the gist but it's like the whole scope is a Crayford focuser with the objective moving in the ota and the eyepiece stays in place.

You would be more than welcome to have a nose sometime. I am quite proud of it.

Thanks for sharing that Andy, I might get to see it one day - cheers ðŸ‘

Nice finds Mick. The newer catalogue reminded me, there is a 6" Coude Zeis refractor in Ripley

What for sale Phil?

Unfortunately not Mick. A chap who used to be in the white peak group bought it from a scottish uni some years ago after it had been replaced by bigger more modern stuff. Hes built an obs around it, I never managed to get a look at or through it as it was slightly before my time in wpaog.

Its apparently the telescope in the title of the song by KT Tunstall Eye to Telescope as she was the daughter of a uni lecturer at the uni where the scope was and she used to look though it as a child

Interesting story.

I wonder if their is a registry noting which telescopes that Zeiss made are still around.