• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eqmod gurus wanted

philjay

Im sorting my heq5 out, relubed and serviced plus twin size dt clamp and was thinking that it would be nice to have it wireless and with a wireless gamepad like I use on my celestron cge.

Now the older I get the more of a pc luddite I become so Ive been reading the eqmod site and it looks to be possible with the bluetooth. My question is to all you eqmod gurus out there is, bearing in mind I am a pc phobe, what gear do I need? Is it the eqmod adapter and eqmod bt or just the bt adapter?

Also is it reliable. I dont want to spend half a rare clear night fighting pc and eqmods that wont communicate cos the winds changed since I last used it :-). My celestron cge mount and nexremote is very stable, I can just switch on and it all works is eqmod as stable?

Ta in anticipation

Personally I'd steer well clear of anything wireless for eqmod. If you lose connection, it's a right pain. The eqmod cables for sale are a bit of a rip off, you can make your own for a third of the price if you're willing.

Make sure any USB hubs have got a good power supply. I found that my woes with my guide cam were down to not having enough juice. Upped the feed from a 1 amp to a 2 amp supply and things started behaving better.

Im sorting my heq5 out, relubed and serviced plus twin size dt clamp and was thinking that it would be nice to have it wireless and with a wireless gamepad like I use on my celestron cge.

Now the older I get the more of a pc luddite I become so Ive been reading the eqmod site and it looks to be possible with the bluetooth. My question is to all you eqmod gurus out there is, bearing in mind I am a pc phobe, what gear do I need? Is it the eqmod adapter and eqmod bt or just the bt adapter?

Also is it reliable. I dont want to spend half a rare clear night fighting pc and eqmods that wont communicate cos the winds changed since I last used it :-). My celestron cge mount and nexremote is very stable, I can just switch on and it all works is eqmod as stable?

Ta in anticipation

Dont know about Blue tooth but I have run a wireless game pad on my Eqmod set up  for years.

As Leigh says loosing connection is a pain.

Only advice I would give if using any type of game pad with Eqmod wireless or otherwise and that is to make sure you have the emergency stop button switched off.

if you accidentally press it in the dark it will shut Eqmod down and you then have to reboot the computer fire up Eqmod again then slacken the clutches off, send the mount to its park position then manually position the scope lock the clutches and start your alignment procedure all over again.  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Ta guys. Hmm it doesnt sound as user friendly as my nexstar set up. Sounds like the bluetooth isnt that stable.

If you are just use bluetooth for the game pad, you'll probably have no problems. I don't remember a single problem with my controllers for the PS3. I did buy an XBox wired controller for eqmod though, just to keep things as simple as possible. As Graham says, everything gets trickier in the dark.

No I was looking for bt for pc to mount. I might give it a go if I get a rush of blood to the head sometime