• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Nagler EP

RonC

I've got a TV Nagler Type 6, 5mm EP in my Ebay watch list, is it a good EP?

I've not tried the Naglers Ron. But a lot of folks rate them highly - they will be very crisp and clear and sharp to the edges - can't go wrong really (except with the missus when she finds out what you're spending lol) :)

It's £100 cheaper than a new one Kim, but I would still quiet about it!!

Guest Space Beagle

Hi Ron,

I have a Nagler 9mm type 6 and it is probably my favorite eyepiece to use in my 200P! Not cheap, even used, but they seem to be very, very nice to use. I am always on the look out for them tbh, even though funds are tight at the moment (like everyone I guess!).

Doc

Hi Doc, only heard about but never used one, just trying to justify the expense!!

Guest Space Beagle

I see there is one for sale on ebay from Germany at the moment, bidding is currently at £71 plus p&p, that might go a little higher then, he he!

Guest Space Beagle

Hi Ron,

Yup I can see the one you are looking at, but there is another one for sale too if you do a quick search! Still on £71 with 4days and 22 hours left! I'm sure it'll go for quite a lot more than that mind you, but might be worth keeping an eye on it!

PS Ron, have a close look at the photos of the Nagler you are thinking of going for, it looks like quite a "Ding" in the end of it! Someone on SGL rekons it may've been dropped! Hmmmm!

Doc

Edited by Space Beagle

I thought that Doc about the 'ding'! Will keep my eye on the auction one I think!! Cheers

Hi Ron,

I had several Naglers in the past, but none as short as the 5mm. In my opinion the view in the Naglers is about the best your going to get in every way. If you have never tried Al Naglers 82 degree "space walk experience" you are really missing out :) I got addicted to it. As Mick said, the only thing really to beat it is the Ethos 100 degree. If your budget permits, I think you would find great satisfaction with a Nagler. The downside is that you will then want to replace the rest of your eps with Naglers.

Cheers,

Pete.

Thanks Pete, not looked through one yet! Keeping up with the Ebay sale, into 3 figures now! Still want one so if this falls through, I'll keep looking!!

Your be very lucky to get a nagler type 4, 5 or 6. For less than 150. Even at 150 they are great eyepieces. The ethos is even better and well worth the money :-)

I gather you missed out on the ebay Naglers, Ron.

The only regret you might have when you have bought your first Nagler, will be the price of the second and third :P

That was my experience with them.

• 10 months later...

I looked at the adverts for Naglers for years in the US magazines wondering how good they were and was the price justified. I had being doing astronomy for over 15 years before I got the chance too look through one and all I can say is I decided good eyepieces are worth it. You pay more sure but they will last you the lifetime of your interest in the hobby and provide hours of wonderful views. If you see one you can afford I'd say go for it but if you are not sure try to look through one at a star party or obs open evening if you get the chance. Or maybe not as it could be a slippery slope!

I managed to get hold of two Naglers 16mm and 9mm for £300 inc p&p. I'd used them both previously cos it was a buddy from Kelling - he was selling up his astro kit to invest in archery lol. Stunning views is the best way of putting it - can't go wrong with them :)

Well for a start the cheaper ones are silly money - as you go up through the range it just get's dafter lol. :)

But it's mostly down to the historical development of crisper clearer views and wider fields. I did read up on it once but it all went over my head so I just gave up and accepted there ain't much better. Along the way there were one or two outstanding pieces made like the Ethos 13mm, Panoptic 33, and Nagler 31. I also personally rate the 24mm Pan and 16mm Nag too.

Al Nagler did the window glass on the first lunar lander and some of the camera lenses I understand. I'll see if I can get you a link to that article later. :)