• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EP quandary.

Daz Type-R

I am in the upcoming months looking to purchase another EP to hopefully complete my collection (for now ;)  ).

I love the 35mm Panoptic, granted it is only got a FOV of 72 degrees but at 35mm it offers lovely wide field views, sharp to the edges.

I also love the 13mm Ethos and consider it my all round EP, great for lunar and DSO's (due to its mid level mag and wide FOV) but I need an EP for planetary viewing.

Due to me loving the Ethos I was going to get either the 8 or more than likely the 6mm Ethos but thinking about it, will 100 degrees FOV on planets be a massive overkill?

Based on that thought, I was strongly considering getting a 6mm Delos, 72 degree FOV, from reports fantastic contrast and pin sharp details across the whole FOV with a big 20mm eye relief that I love with most Tele Vue EP's.  It is also considerably cheaper than a 6 or 8mm Ethos!

I am strongly coming down on the side of the 6mm Delos, it will give 200x mag, perfect for the planets.

I also have a 2x Tele Vue Power Mate, so will be able to increase the mag if the seeing conditions allow, I know some people have issues with barlows and power mates but I do not, and have quite enjoyed using the 13mm Ethos power mated on the moon.

So then guys and gals, what would you do?

• Like 1

I don't think you could go far wrong with either the Delos or Ethos, both top notch eps.

You don't need the 100 degrees for planets, but you might like the wider field better for less nudging to track with your dob.

The Delos seems to be one heck of a pleasant eyepiece to use with a massive eye lens and long eye relief.

I think it would be quite rare that you would be able to use your Powermate on a 6mm or 8mm ep.

For your planetary needs I would be slightly tempted to try the Delos, but it is a very difficult choice.

Nice choice to have to make :D

The Delos would be very nice i'n sure.

From a comfort point of view i don't think you'll find anything better.

I'm looking at a (pair) of 14mm Deloi to use with the Mk V

This will give me 171x for my high power option. If you can use 200x on a regular basis, you're doing very well.

Cheers guys.

I`m swaying more to the 6mm Delos to be honest, its loads cheaper but the thought of less nudging with an Ethos is appealing, I had not thought of that in this context.

The only other down side (if there is such a thing to Tele Vue EP's) is that the Delos is such good contrast, that the brighter planets are almost too bright but thinking about it, I do have a 1.25" variable polarizing filter and the Delos is a 1.25" EP, so that could be an option.

Hmmmm, what to do?

If you are going to do more planetary observing, get some colour filters to bring out more detail as well as dimming the glare. Somewhere on EMS is a post with all the details on what can be brought out by filters.

I would also consider the 8mm - with our skies you might get more use from a slightly lower power.

Just to confuse even further, remember that the wider field of the Ethos could be of benefit for use on smaller star clusters and galaxies, but of course the Delos would still be nice.

Just trying to throw more spanners in the works so you can consider all the pro's and con's. ;)

Shop around as well.

I've seen Delos at £295 on some sites. That's too much imo.

Widescreen are good for Tv. £40 cheaper

Any euro bargains on them Rob?

You normally have your finger on the button with prices across the channel. :thumbsup:

The widescreen centre does every Delos in the range for £256 each.

Cheapest I've found, even abroad.

Go for the Delos.

I'm aiming for the entire range, I'm a bit OCD like that.

Edited by Doc

In terms of size I'd go for the 8mm Ethos. You can get 6.5 with your Powermate and the 13mm - making 6mm a tad redundant. If conditions allow use of the 8mm then the combo will be usable as well. :)

Cheers guys, certainly giving me something to think about, like mentioned above, think I will alter my choice from a 6mm to an 8mm, for the reasons stated above, an 8mm will give 150x mag and will be more usable imo than a 6mm at 200x mag., so good call guys, thanks for that.

:)

So now I have made that choice, Ethos or Delos, 100 degree or 72 degree, £429 or £256.

:wacko::frantic:

For me it would be a second hand Ethos - circa £350.

But all depends on what you're personally comfy with really. :)

I think we can assume that the both Ethos and Delos will give equally aberration free views. You will pay more for that extra wide view. 28 degrees extra AFOV is one heck of an increase over the already wide angle Delos as you will know from the apparent difference between your Panoptic and Ethos. Most reports I've read suggest the Delos is very slightly easier on the eye (for most observers) than the Ethos, The "big easy view" as the yanks tend to describe it :)

I'd be in a quandary as well over that decision. Would be nice to be able to get both, compare side by side and then have the decision as to which one to sell :)