• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

And another one goes bang.

tuckstar

Space x falcon 9 this time!

>https://youtu.be/WB96nUcH7KE

Not sure of the cargo. New docking stuff for iss I think.

Yeah it's a shame, no reports of what caused it yet just that contact with the rocket was lost 2 minutes 19 seconds after launch and occurred just before 1st stage shut down.

It was carrying food, supplies and scientific experiments.

Few, some explosion that was. Fab bit of filming. How do you keep something in the frame that's doing 32Km per second?

They are having a few teething problems with this one. I suppose that when you compare it to other missions such as the Saturn V program, they blew up a lot of Mercury, Gemini and Redstone's along the way before that was anywhere near successful. Even then it wasn't a cert that you would get back in one piece.

It was a bit of a bang! There didn't seem to be much debris left.

Few, some explosion that was. Fab bit of filming. How do you keep something in the frame that's doing 32Km per second?

Very easily when you have the gear they have.

There was a couple of the tracking cameras they used for the Apollo missions for sale a while back.

Unbelievable pieces of kit with a price tag to match if I remember correctly. 

Have a look at this for a better idea.

http://www.flightlinefilms.com/services_ground.html

Edited by Graham

I love the way he calmly says "We appear to have a launch vehicle failure". If it was me it might go something like "OMG!! the chuffin things blown up arghhhhh!!" lol :lol:

Guest peepshow

There's no black box on board this one (!)  so I just wonder what sensors they have all over the rocket to

tell them where the fault was?

That very last milli second signal sent back to earth telling what went wrong.

A rather expensive firework....

I wonder what the back up plan is, are they to launch a replacement soon?

I love the way he calmly says "We appear to have a launch vehicle failure". If it was me it might go something like "OMG!! the chuffin things blown up arghhhhh!!" lol :lol:

It sounds to me like they cut the voiceover completely at the moment of the explosion. I wonder if there were some naughty words during those few seconds before they brought back the commentator after he'd composed himself.

I think the previous one that failed was also taking supplies up to the ISS. Wonder if they may be going on short rations for a while. :(

Wont be short on rations ETC, they have over 6-7 months worth of food ETC on board to cater for a few supply ships not getting to them.  Hopefully it wont come to that though.

Crikey........another one ?

The insurance men will have their heads in their hands.

I'm being told the launch vehicle was intentionally destroyed by the Range Safety Officer.

He has authority to destroy the vehicle if it deviates from its flight path, or develops an unrecoverable malfunction.