• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cheap made in HK eyepieces, any good?

M.

Ok, don't  hate on me :D  I've just ordered one to see how it stacks up and if it is indeed really that shocking.

Edited by M__

I paid £14 for an Ostara 20mm plossl, I don't think its HK made but I do think its a re-branded farmed out eyepiece.

I could have got the skywatcher for a bit extra, but at this price its worth the gamble I guess.

Edited by M__

I've seen them for sale on e-bay before but never tried one.

let us all know what you think of them.

I will do my best, most likely donate it? when I replace it for something that a bit better.

Ostara tackle is the brand name of Optical Hardware Ltd. of Barnsley.

I'm sure it is of Chinese origin, and I haven't heard anything bad about Ostara tackle, but can't imagine that a £14 plossl will give any sort of wow factor. It will probably be the quality of your average 20mm ep supplied as standard with many scopes. Ostara also do a range of Flat Field eps that have the same focal lengths and look identical to the SW, BST and Orion versions. They have some ED and apo refractors and various other accesories which all look familiar.

I see, I will give it a go anyways. I didn't think the 25mm kellner eyepiece that came with the scope was all that shabby, apart from it being so small I kept hitting my head on the scope lol

Most eyepieces should perform pretty well in your relatively long focal ratio scope. The Kellner would probably be awful at F6 or less.