• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Baader Hyperion.

M.

Ok, so I haven't used this enough yet as I've got the 10mm and with my scope that gives 200x magnification. That said the huge eye relief and massive 32mm dia sight glass make this eyepiece very comfortable to use

Naturally it's threaded for filters and I think it also converts into a 2" fitting?

It is also very easy to take apart and convert into a 8mm using the fine-tuning insert. I can see that the tolerances are close and the machining is spot on.

From a pure aesthetics viewpoint, the finish on the body, especially the white printed lettering lacks surface hardness and is cracking allready, which is poor. I don't like the hard sight glass cover here, maybe I'm being too picky haha

I'm happy with the eyepiece, it's well priced and I would recommend this model, I will most likely buy another one very soon.

I bought the whole range about 5 years when they came out. I enjoyed using them and they really showed great detail in my F10 refractor. Then I bought a F4.5 dob and the eyepieces started to show defects such as bad coma in the final 20%. 

Coma looks like seagulls and I just couldn't get used to it, I bought a Baader MPCC coma corrector and that helped a little but I still wasn't happy so I sold them all and bought a full set of William Optics Uwans and the coma nearly went away.

I found the Hyperions excellent in slow scopes but not very good in fast scopes, but then I've read other people love them in slow scopes so maybe it was me being to picky, or maybe it was the mirror in the dob.