• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepieces that we don't like.

M.

Just thought I'd start a thread for those to moan :P about eyepieces that have failed to impress, cost too much, have poor finish or below average build quality, and anything else you can think of.

I don't have enough experience yet to really comment on the optics, but as good as the Hyperion is for its price bracket, the white printed lettering on the body of the eyepiece lacks surface hardness and so it seems to crack and scar up easily.

I can't really fault the Hyperion on anything else....

Edited by M__

I've had a few bad eyepieces in my time, the ones that really stand out are a 6.3mm TAL and a 10mm Sirius Plossl.

Two spring to mind.........the generic 10mm that came supplied with my old Orion Optics.

......and the illuminated reticule 16mm eyepiece i got from Astrofest several years ago.

Both complete junk.

I wasn't impressed with the older model Celestron eyepiece kit that I bought with my CPC800 6 or 7 yrs ago now. It really only had one good eyepiece in there and that was 32mm. There was a 20mm and a 15mm equivalent to "slightly better than" the usual supplied eyepieces, and the 9mm, 6mm, and 4mm had pea sized lenses that I struggled to peer through. The barlow was trash and the half dozen filters very low quality. The best thing by far was the flight case they all came in which I now use for camera gear.

I donated the 20, 15, and 9mm to club scopes, lost the 6mm and took the lens out of the 4mm for a collimating cap. I still have the filters somewhere - would be happy to give them away as I never use 'em and have since acquired a full set of decent LRGB and narrow bands. I understand Celestron have upgraded their starter kit now. I replaced mine with a Baader zoom - best thing I ever did. :)

The 10mm ep that came with my Sky-Watcher ST102. It gave the impression that the scope was getting soft above 50x and when paired up with the supplied Barlow (100x) the views were just blurry, hopeless! When I bought a 7mm Celestron Luminos to go in my 120ED I thought I'd give it a go in the 102, not expecting much. But guess what, a nice sharp little image of Saturn! When I bought the AA130 I bought a 4mm Vixen SLV. So I tried that in the 102. You guessed it. A nice 125x mag. I can just about get Jupiter's GRS on a good night with that.