• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My first stacked M42

Perkil8r

After many many many hours of faffing, swearing and being grumpy I've got to this:

15 frames stacked and poorly processed in Deep Sky Stacker. Total of 2mins 50secs at ISO 400.

I'm not exactly thrilled by it, but it's better than I first feared.

All lights, no darks. Figured out that automatic hot pixel detection was the reason for the frog spawn problem I was having initially so re did it with it turned off.

Now I sort of know a tiny bit more about what I'm doing I will get more data and some darks. Focus seemed pretty much spot on but the stars seem quite "blobby" not sure how to stop that. Still for a first try I guess it could be worse. The moon was a pain and next door but one's outside light was on too, so I guess the flocking is working fairly well considering.

Keep on practicing you'll get the hang of it, Focus, focus & focus.

Did you use a Bahtinov mask for focus?

Good first attempt.

No focusing aids, just snap, zoom, adjust, snap, zoom, adjust............ I really feel like I need a 1/10 dual speed focuser, the sweet spot is somwhere between too little and too much lol. It's DSS and my snail paced laptop that cause me the most headaches though.

Same stack, processed with a bit more care this time:

Would be interested to hear any hints and tips on how to improve next time. I will be using more subs, equal amount of darks and so on. Also hopefully next time the moon won't be there nor the neighbours outside light! How is my focus? Is it out or is it down to tracking and processing that the stars in the trapezium blend?

Very nice Mike - excelent first image :)

I wouldn't know about the processing but you can upgrade your focuser for the Lacerta that Martyn demonstrated in the DIY section. I followed his instructions and it went on like a dream. Dual speed for £56 and not having to buy a whole new crayford is a bargain imho :)

Very nice Mike - excelent first image :)

I wouldn't know about the processing but you can upgrade your focuser for the Lacerta that Martyn demonstrated in the DIY section. I followed his instructions and it went on like a dream. Dual speed for £56 and not having to buy a whole new crayford is a bargain imho :)

I've been looking at those yes. I'm thinking I need a better solution than my laptop for processing too, it's painfully slow. Took 1 1/2 hrs to re load and process that shot!

Thanks, it certainly is a big improvement over the 1st attempt at processing it. If I get chance soon I'll get out and get plenty more data and have another go at it. I'm sure I learnt something from this one though, I just need to figure out what it was lol.

Thats much better

A little softer on the processing I guess

M42 is a difficult object as its got such a range of brightness and contrast (like M31)

They may be big and bright but there are easier objects

The secret is keep at it

Just had another go at processing with PS Cs5 Extended:

Is that any better or is it now too harsh?