• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finally - First light on my 12" newt build

Rusty Strings

At last (even I wondered if I'd post this) the scope I've been building for 6 years saw proper first light last night. Ok so, not especially dark and saturn was particularly poor due to low altitude but, Alberio and M51 looked great. I still have to finish the electrics, trim the truss tubes to final length and cover them in black heat shrink, mount the wixey, fit a bubble level to the dob base plus,no doubt, lots of other piddling small things to make it user friendly in the dark.

I can't believe it has taken so long but better late then never.

pics to follow......

Edited by Rusty Strings
  • Like 3

I thought you had forgotten about this project, or should I say I had forgotten about it  :lol:

Can't wait to see the pics.

It's a real sense of achievement building it yourself, well done John.

I couldn't spend as much time on it as I would've liked plus a few design dead ends that required rethinking such as an Obsession style secondary assembly that was too heavy so I went for a single ring that means only a modest counterweight for lighter eyepieces.

Sounds terrific John - well done and looking forward to seeing it. :)

6yrs is about how long I've been doing astronomy - I remember when you first talked about your scope build lol.

Here you go

post-17-0-99153800-1436447434_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-74866000-1436447475_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-11263000-1436447507_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-60380800-1436447537_thumb.jpg

The primary mirror and the hexagonal frame its housed in, is from a scope that was built by a friend of mine in the early 1970s. It was housed in a dome and was used for astrophotography. Time went by and as his interest in astronomy faded, the scope rusted until he ended up dismantling it and stored the mirrors in his loft. It was at this time that the primary got chipped on the edge. Fast forward to 2008 and I met him in the pub. He offered me the whole thing for £50 which seeing as Orion optics commented on how good the primary's figure was when I took it to be recoated, I think I did well on the deal as the damage doesn't have any noticeable affect on the image.

The original steel truss tubes and much of the secondary assembly where not reusable and I felt that the design could be improved upon using Ali tube and birch plywood. The scope originally was on an eq fork mount set in concrete, I love the dob mount so that is what it now sits on. After some trial and error with the design of the new bits, mainly to get the balance right, it now only needs a small counterweight on the secondary when I use a lighter eyepiece.

All in all, an enjoyable experience so far.

Bring on Kelling and winter!

Edited by Rusty Strings
  • Like 2

Looks the biz John  :thumbsup:

I'm aiming to join the Dob club in another 18 months or so........

What focal ratio is your scope.......it looks F/6 ish....?

Love it :)

I've been thinking of doing something like this myself, make my scope portable...

Thanks chaps

Rob It's F5.

The single most expensive part was the primary re-coat at £150. I replaced the secondary (£80) as the original was way over size, I suspect, because it was an imaging scope, the rest possibly comes to £200ish. It is difficult to put a final cost due to the "design blind alleys" I went down, but Mick is right, I am well chuffed with it.

Beautiful - Looking forward to getting a good look at it and of course a look through too!

I jolly well hope it's going to Kelling.

Fab, glad you can make it John, wouldn't mind a look at / through if you don't mind?