• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Junk Yard Telescope Build Thread.

M.

The Junk Yard Telescope

Brief:

Forum members are to build a full working telescope, either reflector or refractor from the use of scrap and improvised parts. The completed telescope is to be showcased in a series of image uploads to EMS, including a brief description on the build.

The winning build will be picked by means of a public forum vote and the criteria considered should be based on how close the entrants scope fits the specification.

Specification:

The telescope must operate as intended and work.

The telescope will need a name;)

The telescope tube must be improvised and not be salvage from any other telescope.

The telescope finder must be improvised and not be salvage from any other telescope.

If the telescope is to use a mount, tripod or pilar; then this will also need to be improvised or fabricated by hand.

Aperture size is open.

All optical internals including the primary mirror, secondary mirror and the focuser can be salvaged from any telescope or bought.

The eyepiece used is open but will not be included in the voting for best telescope.

Winning Categories:

• Least expensive build
  • Most quirky design
  • Best improvised design
  • Best named telescope
  • Best 'all round' telescope
  • Ugly ducking award, for the least attractive design

Edited by M__
Thread tidy up.

What's the fixed cost/ size etc

No restrictions on cost or size.

Can the optics be salvaged from other scopes ??

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so anybody made a start yet?

Ive got a few ideas and a set direction, also I've added more to the game play, see above :) 

You have got me thinking Martin, again! 😄😕🔭

You have got me thinking Martin, again!

I just hope this becomes a forum thing lol

The Junk Yard Telescope

Specification:

The telescope must operate as intended and work.

The fished telescope will need a name;)

Now, I like telescopes and I also like keeping fish, but generally find it preferable to keep the two things very separate.

Is there n i thing you can do about this in the second item in your specification above?

And I was just gonna go and trawl the canal using an eyepiece as bait lol. :lol:

You need one of my waterproof eyepieces for that job :D

This is really good fun so I'm very tempted to have a go. :good3:

I've even spent half an hour making plans and locating some useful cheap bits online.

The only problem is lack of spare time, and the fact that I have other junkyard telescopes still waiting to be finished when time allows.

We shall see :)

This is really good fun so I'm very tempted to have a go. :good3:

I've even spent half an hour making plans and locating some useful cheap bits online.

The only problem is lack of spare time, and the fact that I have other junkyard telescopes still waiting to be finished when time allows.

We shall see :)

I'm looking at making a dob and my idea is.....

Well I kinda don't want to spoil it :)

I hope you do get time, would be cool if ten + forum members turned out at a meet with their creations lol

Edited by M__

I am thinking of doing something, maybe a small dob...

I have an old spare 6" f4 mirror and a flat, the scope would have to be usable afterwards so looking at some designs for inspirations :-)

The 6" dob will be a bit of a practice run... If it all works out, then it could lead to building a larger aperture dob in the future ... :-)