• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ok, so maybe I'm going 2"

M.

I was just looking to get the skinny on these eyepieces.

Do a lot of you guys run the 2" at lower magnification and then revert back to a 1.25" eyepiece fir the planetary observing?

I was thinking about investing in a wide FOV 29mm skywatcher or similar to start with, also will my Hyperion set convert and offer just as good over a dedicated 2"

What 2" do you guys find yourself using the most?

Yes 2" eps are generally for lower power and wider fields. Higher powers have smaller fields so 1.25" is sufficient.

What is the diameter of the opening into your baffle tube. If it is smaller than about 30mm that is likely to cause some vignetting of 2" eyepieces with larger field stops. Ie: the brightness may dim a little towards the edge of the field of view.

You use 2" eps to achieve wider fields of view. The maximum eyepiece field stop in a 1.25" ep is about 29mm. In a 2" eyepiece it is about 46mm. With a bigger field stop you can take in a lot more sky.

You can still get wide fields in your SCT, but I suspect you may notice a little vignetting from the baffle tube, if it is smaller than the ep field stop. It could cost a bit to get a bigger visual back if required and a 2" diagonal.

A cheaper route maybe to use 1.25" eps with an F6.3 focal reducer.

Brilliant, you should get full use from 2" eps if that opening is maintained right through the diagonal and into the eyepiece. :thumbsup:

If you want to get the widest true FOV possible then you need an ep with a field stop approaching 46mm.

These are the specs for an ep to give the widest true FOV possible in your scope of up to 1.3 degrees...

50mm 50 degree apparent FOV = 40x

40mm 68 degree apparent FOV = 50x

30mm 82 degree apparent FOV = 67x

25mm 100 degree apparent FOV = 80x

They will all perform well in your SCT, but the 50 degree will be like looking at your smartphone, 82 degree like your 50" TV, and the 100 degree will be your IMAX cinema view :)

I use 2" 50mm and 26mm EP's, and from there down to 4mm are 1 1/4. That's on my 130 which has a fl of 905mm. 

I use 2" 50mm and 26mm EP's, and from there down to 4mm are 1 1/4. That's on my 130 which has a fl of 905mm.

So, I don't really need a load of 2" eyepieces then?

I'd be better just investing in a low mag wide FOV one.

How did you find the change from 1.25" ?

I have one 2" for wide field, used to have the 28mm Uwan now have the 31mm Nagler and the rest or 1.25" eyepieces.

I feel there is no need to have a complete set of 2" unless you bucket loads of money

I have one 2" for wide field, used to have the 28mm Uwan now have the 31mm Nagler and the rest or 1.25" eyepieces.

I feel there is no need to have a complete set of 2" unless you bucket loads of money

I was thinking maybe the skywatcher 29mm, because it was priced well and I could maybe afford it lol

If you mean the 2" SW 28mm LET Kellner, it is only 58 degrees with and will barely give you a wider field than the maximum you could get in 1.25".

I wouldn't buy a 2" diagonal just for that.

If you mean the 2" SW 28mm LET Kellner, it is only 58 degrees with and will barely give you a wider field than the maximum you could get in 1.25".

I wouldn't buy a 2" diagonal just for that.

I maybe should rethink then, though I think the price is very attractive against its rivals.

I got one of those 28mm Skywatcher LET in the Esprit 120 ED package I bought and have tried it and I didn't enjoy the experience at all.

I got one of those 28mm Skywatcher LET in the Esprit 120 ED package I bought and have tried it and I didn't enjoy the experience at all.

I was thinking that we can't really expect much from a £29 ep, especially if it is in a 2" barrel. When I looked at the spec, I was surprised to see it was a modified Kellner. You don't see those very often now. :)

SW know that anyone buying an Esprit is already going to have a case full of top class eps anyway.

That or a nice ccd :)

Edited by Tweedledee

So, I don't really need a load of 2" eyepieces then?

I'd be better just investing in a low mag wide FOV one.

How did you find the change from 1.25" ?

I really only use the 2" EP's for finding something. Then I change to the 1 1/4"s. It's quite quick and simple to use the 2" to 1 1/4" adapter. That can then stay in the diagonal while the highermag 1 1/4" EP's are changed over. I do get a bit fed up with re-focusing with every change as my EP's are all different makes.

Oh and yes,S-W 28mm LET. I had one with my SW 120ED. I seem to remember there was a little bit in the centre of the view that was fairly sharp, and then, oh dear! Blurry and distorted. My 2" 26mm EP is a "Revalation" that came with my Revalation 10" Dob and it's much better.