• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1 month in......

M.

Forum needs more active members making new threads :/

I'm falling behind my goal, but I've made nearly 300 posts in just one month of being here :)

You've been slacking these last two or three days Martin.

I even managed to be top poster for an hour yesterday morning! ;)

Edited by Tweedledee

I'm falling behind my goal, but I've made nearly 300 posts in just one month of being here :)

While I agree, it is up to the members and staff to participate and keep the forum active but there has to be a question about posting for postings sake?

What is more beneficial to a forum, hundreds of thousands of post and threads about general chit chat, dogs, cats, hamsters ETC or less posts about actual queries, kit, viewing objects, astro photography, eye pieces, cameras ETC.

Will a new person to astronomy look at this site (or any site) and see a mine of useful information, or a forum full of general posts and chit chat?

Now I hope nobody takes this to heart, I am not aiming this at anybody and in your case Martin, your questions around eye pieces and scopes ETC that you have posted since joining are valid and will be invaluable to any new person getting into astronomy but you have to remember, you have joined at a time where astronomy is practically on hold due to the light nights, you will find, come September time, the forum will pick up (He says with everything crossed).

Please keep the questions coming but think, will this post be beneficial to others or am I just posting for postings sake?

Also, if any body disagrees with me, please feel free to shoot me down (gently)   :P:D:lol:

I think there is an enormous amount of very helpful, and useful information on EMS.

I also think it is nice to find other astronomers with dogs or other interests outside stargazing, and feel there is room for a bit of fun and joviality as well.

By far the bulk of the posts are very interesting and directly related to astronomy, which is how it should be. :)

While I agree, it is up to the members and staff to participate and keep the forum active but there has to be a question about posting for postings sake?

What is more beneficial to a forum, hundreds of thousands of post and threads about general chit chat, dogs, cats, hamsters ETC or less posts about actual queries, kit, viewing objects, astro photography, eye pieces, cameras ETC.

Will a new person to astronomy look at this site (or any site) and see a mine of useful information, or a forum full of general posts and chit chat?

Now I hope nobody takes this to heart, I am not aiming this at anybody and in your case Martin, your questions around eye pieces and scopes ETC that you have posted since joining are valid and will be invaluable to any new person getting into astronomy but you have to remember, you have joined at a time where astronomy is practically on hold due to the light nights, you will find, come September time, the forum will pick up (He says with everything crossed).

Please keep the questions coming but think, will this post be beneficial to others or am I just posting for postings sake?

Also, if any body disagrees with me, please feel free to shoot me down (gently) :P:D:lol:

I think I've made more threads relating to astronomy in general over 'chit chat', I do feel that if I didn't make any new threads, I would have no real reason to come here. I thought this would be a good way of getting to know members out of their hobby?

Edited by M__

There's plenty of astro info on the forum - which is as it should be - and the enthusiasm of new members is great - it's given the forum a smashing activity boost during the low season. It's all relevant stuff - and even the doggy thread has had my missus drooling over everyone's cute little mutts. First time I've seen a bird drooling over dogs - it's usually the other way round lol. :lol: :lol:

I feel like a scolded child now :( lol

I'm just trying to integrate into an allready established forum.

Massive thanks to everybody that has replied to my threads and offered up advice, much appreciated :)

Interestingly, I have since searched for vintage celestron C8 and it brings me here, so I guess I'm doing my bit for promoting lol

Don't be stupid Martin, you are valued member of this group, your posts are great and these threads are generating a lot of astro related answers, so beginners similar to yourself are learning, that is why we are here, to help others.  Keep posting these queries and I'll along with others try to answer all the questions raised.

Don't be stupid Martin, you are valued member of this group, your posts are great and these threads are generating a lot of astro related answers, so beginners similar to yourself are learning, that is why we are here, to help others.  Keep posting these queries and I'll along with others try to answer all the questions raised.

Sorry for this thread, it wasn't intended in any negative way. I was just making a joke as I mentioned that I would be a top 20 poster in super quick time haha

If you think some of these threads are trivial, you should see the stuff I post on others forums lol

Massive thanks to everybody that has replied to my threads and offered up advice, much appreciated :)

Interestingly, I have since searched for vintage celestron C8 and it brings me here, so I guess I'm doing my bit for promoting lol

Sorry Martin, I didn't mean to make you feel like that, I did say I hope nobody takes it to heart.

:blush:

Hey Martin, we were all beginners at one time and asking the same questions that you have, fire away and if we can help we will. 

As for general chit chat, thats what the chat section is for.

If people want to read astronomy only threads, then they can avoid this forum. Not that I find any threads on EMS but when I have on other forums, there is always the PAGE DOWN button. If people want to post stuff then there's no harm done.

Well why does a southerner like me come here? Easy: it's the most lively forum there is. Don't worry about being a beginner, even those of us who've been around 3 score years are still learning.

As for the light summer nights, there's always the Sun and Moon and (this summer) Venus. The weather is just so <expletive> awful that I'm not even seeing many sunspots.

It's nice to chat about dogs when there's nothing visible in the sky!

Martin, I don't think anybody's having a dig at you. You've done a good job getting us thinking about kit, what to observe etc. I say "well done that man"!

Edited by Werisit
  • Like 2

Hey Martin, you have to understand we are all different. Some of us can't resist participating in posts, Some members are happy to just follow certain areas of interest and rarely post etc. We all have to be ourselves, and go at our own pace... And you have to continue at your own pace... And long may you do so! ðŸ‘

I have found most of your threads enjoyable, interesting, relevant and sometimes thought provoking! I must admit I have also had a few problems keeping up with you!😃

You have been like a whirlwind on this forum, at potentially the slackest time of the observing year! So that's a good thing to me! ðŸ‘

You have on several occasions got me thinking "what are your favourite objects to observe? Which of 'these eyepieces, telescopes, finders etc, are best and why etc"? I have found myself staring into space for minutes on end thinking about all these things... That's all good stuff too! ☺ï¸

I hope you are a young star that continues to shine for a very long time and not just a fleeting meteor, fast and brilliant for a very brief moment in time...🌠

Personally, I guess I could class myself as a great red giant, I am much bigger than I used to be, have used up most of my hydrogen and could go supernova any time soon!💥

Cheers!

• Like 3

The whole point of the Coffee Shop is for none astro chat. So long as it doesn't contravene the T&C's of the forum, you can post about anything in there. This is for a number of reasons.

One being that there will be folks who just want to do Astronomy and look in the relevant sections. On other forums, notably the American ones, there is a considerable intolerance towards general chatter, and almost a reverential atmosphere just dedicated to Astronomy. That's not how this forum is, or will be. It was set up by like minded people, who have become good mates and this ethos will continue. Everyone is welcome and always will be, there have been exceptions to this and I think we are lucky that these have been very few. 

If you want to talk about dogs, cat's or so on then great, it's for off topic posts. I will say though, you will receive an instant ban if you raise the matter of astrology, but that's just the way us Leo's are. :lol:

It also keeps the other threads clear of clutter, so if you are looking for pertinent info, then you don't have to wade through stuff to find it.

I haven't been able to spend the time on the forum lately, or look through a scope at all, but I am hoping that things will change at some point and I will be able to chuck in my pennies worth. 

Just enjoy the forum, keep looking up and wondering. :)

• Like 2

Hey Martin, you have to understand we are all different. Some of us can't resist participating in posts, Some members are happy to just follow certain areas of interest and rarely post etc. We all have to be ourselves, and go at our own pace... And you have to continue at your own pace... And long may you do so!

I have found most of your threads enjoyable, interesting, relevant and sometimes thought provoking! I must admit I have also had a few problems keeping up with you!

You have been like a whirlwind on this forum, at potentially the slackest time of the observing year! So that's a good thing to me!

You have on several occasions got me thinking "what are your favourite objects to observe? Which of 'these eyepieces, telescopes, finders etc, are best and why etc"? I have found myself staring into space for minutes on end thinking about all these things... That's all good stuff too! ☺

I hope you are a young star that continues to shine for a very long time and not just a fleeting meteor, fast and brilliant for a very brief moment in time...

Personally, I guess I could class myself as a great red giant, I am much bigger than I used to be, have used up most of my hydrogen and could go supernova any time soon!

Cheers!

Thanks for your kind words steve  :)

I too hope to be around a long time in this hobby, I'm always thinking, which is not always good lol

BAZ. Ok I promise, no mystic meg :D

Edited by M__

Wow that was quick, you be overtaking me soon  ;)

Maybe that's a bit far out of reach for this year, but aim to be a regular poster here and top 20 within a couple of months :)

I've probably fallen down the ranks, not that I see it as a competition. My new job is a lot more busy and it has affected the amount of observing and photography I'm doing.