• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What eyepiece next?

Tweedledee

I'm rather proud of my little eyepiece range, so just had to show it off :)

Just got my Speers WALER zoom today from the US. Another 50 dollar budget import  ;)  .

It feels very nice to hold with its large rubber grip, and is surprisingly, not as heavy as it looks. The zoom action is very smooth and slick to adjust by gently pulling out the inards of the eyepiece to the click stops.

Very pleased with my collection at the moment and looking forward to using them in the dob.

Although there are several niche type older eyepieces I would like to own one day, and the Televue Delos that I'm sure would be lovely to use, I can only think of one other eyepiece that I would really like to add. That is the $3000 Collins I3 image intensified eyepiece. Apparently it has the effect of doubling or tripling the aperture of the scope to show up faint DSO's in real time. Trouble is, the US government does not allow its use outside of continental USA :( .

Left to right...

TV 20mm Plossl 50d, Fujiyama HD Ortho 25mm 42d, SW UWA 6mm 66d, Meade Super Plossl 26mm 52d, ES 25mm 100d, TV Ethos 17mm 100d, Speers WALER 8.5mm-12mm 89d-84d, ES 9mm 120d, Huygenian 25mm 30d.

20150714_104343.jpg

20150714_104408.jpg

• Like 2

The Speers Waler looks awesome, I don't normally do zooms but that's one I would love to have. Why do you need a 17.3 Delos when you have a 17 Ethos?, and that little huygenian at the end looks lost  :lol:

As for the Collins eyepiece I have never heard of it, off to google it now.

I'll put a photo of my set up soon as I haven't done it yet.

But your kit looks awesome Pete, you should be well chuffed.

Edited by Doc

Which one is your favourite?

I like the not too over the top tele vue, lot of weight to them as I found out the other day.

Maybe you have enough eyepieces? What is considered the average? I see a poll coming on soon lol

Thanks Mick,

I guess the 17.3 Delos would be exactly like looking through the central portion of the 17 Ethos. I have heard so many reports that the Delos is just really easy and pleasant to look through. Apparently, it is more enjoyable to look through than the Ethos. I'm sure you will be able to tell us more about the Delos soon.

I've looked at the sun through the delos but haven't had the oppertunity to look through it at night. As soon as you have found the correct eye relief position by moving the outer part of the eyepiece up or down it becomes a very pleasent experience looking through it, head position is natural and I could detect no kidney beaning regarding eye placement.

Which one is your favourite?

I like the not too over the top tele vue, lot of weight to them as I found out the other day.

Maybe you have enough eyepieces? What is considered the average? I see a poll coming on soon lol

The big three fixed focal length eyepieces are just lovely to own and use. I don't have a favourite since they complement each other and give me some nice steps in magnification (66x, 97x and 183x) whilst providing the maximum possible field of view.

The Speers WALER is just the only zoom that I think I would enjoy using as it has such a massive FOV.

I don't think any of the big four could be considered average. Extreme could be a better description :o .

You may well be correct, I have enough eyepieces. I think I've covered all the angles :D .

I've looked at the sun through the delos but haven't had the oppertunity to look through it at night. As soon as you have found the correct eye relief position by moving the outer part of the eyepiece up or down it becomes a very pleasent experience looking through it, head position is natural and I could detect no kidney beaning regarding eye placement.

I'm sure they are going to be a really comfortable and pleasant eyepiece to use at night as well. The movable eye positioner seems like a great idea.

It's taken you a long time to arrive at your current arsenal Pete. They make an awesome set. You have had to make some serious choices to get where you are and no doubt there will be a few more tweaks in the future! Give me a shout when you decide to 'tweak' some more'😀

I am sure you will be stunned when you get the chance to use them on your 14" dobby, and I cannot wait to hear about it ðŸ‘

Just make sure you have grass and not concrete directly beneath your focusser when you slip those bad boys into it! It may feel like you are loading an artillery shell with high explosives into a field artillery gun!!! 😗 so handle with care !

Pete have you used your turret yet.

If so what's it like?

When I first got it, I was disappointed and thought I would probably sell it after one use. What I didn't like about it was, that to my surprise, it was made predominantly out of plastic and feels so light that it could blow away in the wind.

After using it a several times, I think it is great.

Despite being plastic, it is top quality German plastic and works fine. It also looks nice so you'd really think it was metal even close up. It does the job fine and if you have parfocal eyepieces, (unlike me), it will be even more convenient. Saves a lot of fumbling around changing eps in the dark.

When you consider that it costs less than £40, it is definitely an absolute bargain. Its only competition that I can find, costs about £600 from the US, unless you can pick up a cheap 50 year old Zeiss metal version which will probably be rusty by now.

Not the best, but superb value for money. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Food for thought.

Baader makes first class stuff so I would be surprised if it was a bad product.