• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First attempts at imaging - M13 and M57

PolygonPi

Very nice start - well done. :)

Tiniest smidgeon of rotation which may become more obvious on a longer exposure - but smashing first shots.

Thanks! Will the rotation just have been due to polar alignment being a little off, or is there anything else that could cause it?

Cool. I struggled through the whole aligning the polar scope and setting up the date/time circles beforehand and got something that looked like it might be about there. You're right, it's a bit fiddly...

Thats really good Andy, welcome to the dark side of imaging. 2 good subjects to start on, try m27 next, big, bright and colourful. It makes a nice image.

Pa for imaging takes a little getting used to but soon becomes 2nd nature

Good start Andy, like M13 very much! Practice makes perfect so keep on at it!! (weather permitting!!) :)

Ron

Looking good there Andy. Your'e on a slippery slope now, I'll bet you can feel your wallet trembling.  :D

Very nice images Andy, you must be pleased.... And looking forward to more of the same...

Thanks for sharing!

Very nice images. Well done for a 1st go. On tap talk here... what scope/mount did you use?

Very nice images. Well done for a 1st go. On tap talk here... what scope/mount did you use?

It was a Skywatcher 200p Newtonian on an EQ5 mount with the dual-axis motor kit. I've seen a few people say that the EQ5 is right at the limit of viability for imaging with that scope, but there was no wind at all and only 15 sec exposures so the tracking seemed pretty good. As Baz said, I'm hoping I can avoid the slippery slope of upgrades - I'm sure there's plenty of potential in my current setup yet...

• Like 2

I agree you will be able to do quite a bit with your current setup. Mike perkl8r did quite a bit with similar gear that demonstrates what is achievable.

There will always be things we would like to do better though.

Low wind, careful balancing of your scope and the best polar alignment you can get will no doubt help.

I also have a 200p but on an HEQ5. I haven't used it much for imaging as I have a lighter frac for that.

You have done a nice job with the gear you have and pulled our some good detail on the Ring nebula.

Look forward to the next images!

Steve

There's plenty you can do with that set up. Perkil8r is the chap to have a talk to, he started with the same set up, and turned out absolute stunners. The key apparently is bang on polar alignment.