• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Did sky at night do more harm than good ?

cosmic dave

I watched sky at night last night, I was looking forward to the star party piece on the program, But I have to say kielder was probably not the one to go for ! especially as it was wet and clouded out and wet the whole time I cant think of a better way of putting people off attending a star party. Without any stargazing what was the point in broadcasting that article on a stargazing show ? maybe the article could have been given to the one show to use as it was little use to the astronomy community. why did they not use kelling ? its drier part of the world and the site with proper paths and large pitches and on site bar/lecture hall would have surly been a better option ??? please don't think I have a downer on s @ n I love the program I was just a little bewildered why they did this.

Thing is Dave that the program is aimed at the target audience, ie Astronomers. I like to think that we are a realistic bunch and know that it is difficult to predict the weather, especially when you are booking in advance.

What they did point out was that there was other stuff to do if the weather was poor. There were talks ect, plus it gives people the chance to talk and share their experience with those of us that are less experienced.

I watched it myself last night and whilst it was a shame about the weather, i did not come away from it feeling negative at all.

I suppose that there will be sessions booked for ELAC in the future when the weather will be rubbish but i would hope that we would still meet up?

Yes so do I, in fact thats something we need to sort out, maybe I was looking forward to the star party thing to much ? but thats how I felt about it :P

are you going tomorrow Mark ?

Was thinking about it yes, but was thinking maybe i should wait for the go ahead first or see what every one else is doing.

I agree we need to know the observing site before we make more plans, tho the links hotel bar looked a good meeting place on the gib point road :D

It would be if someone could drive me home after. :D

Couple of hours in there and we would be seeing stars alright, just not in the sky. :lol:

I just thought the 10 minutes or so of valuable air time spent watching them faff about with the tents was nothing to do with astronomy or kielder and totally unnecessary.

Phil

I just thought the 10 minutes or so of valuable air time spent watching them faff about with the tents was nothing to do with astronomy or kielder and totally unnecessary.

Phil

Agreed. ;)

Phil

Yeah - me too - that's the bit that puts people off - a bunch of dickensian geeks having what they think is fun erecting a tent - nothing to do with astronomy or the modern trendy and technical hobby it's becoming. I mean - astronomy aside - who would even want to go camping with that lot lol :)

I bet you can't get a pitch for the upcoming Kielder Star Party though

I would be going if Helen could manage Its a bit too rough underfoot for the Mrs since her knees packed in(even though she loves the area)

Best Skies I've seen in this country

It's a similar situation to Brian Cox, they had all the Macclesfield lot out in the field, scopes set up and observing, what did they do, nothing. Pointless them even bring their kit, they didn't show any of their scopes or ask them about affordable amateur kit.

The thing with Kielder and other places up North is that if the weather was nicer/softer more people would live there and the skies wouldn't be so dark.....

I can say that cause I grew up near Glasgow.. :D