• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Vixen SSV 83 deg fov eyepieces

Bino-viewer

19962790082_e107c77153_z.jpgSSW_Series by

More eyepieces........?  :lol:

Yes (as if we don't have enough choice already) Vixen are introducing a new line this October.

The forum junkies amongst you who follow SGL / CN may have seen them already.

And FLO will be stocking them as well  :)

Over the last year, i've toyed with the idea of changing my current high power pair of eyepieces (Tv Nagler 13mm)

Can't put my finger on it exactly, but i've never been completely happy with the N13s

The eye relief is a little tight, the eyecups are a bit on the hard side, and they have abnormally long barrels,

which won't seat fully in my Mk Vs. They actually stick out a couple of mm. This may not sound much of an issue, but for me,

this couple of mm may be the difference between being able to focus, or not.

Also, most of the time, seeing conditions won't let me use the 13s at full power (185x) 

So maybe 14s would be a better high power (171x) for me that i would be able to use more often ?

I've spent most of this year thinking about selling the 13s, and maybe going for a pair of Delos 14s, and then maybe even a pair of 10's for when

the seeing is really good. Doesn't happen very often in Derby, but my scope isn't that fussy a lot of the time.

I've even tried them out. At Astrofest this year, David Nagler kindly set up their 102mm refractor with a Tv binoviewer and a pair of D14s for me to try.

Now the Delos 14s (for a 1.25" fit) are big, chunky eyepieces. But i was able to view with them ok.

My nose is maybe slightly bigger than average, but my inter-pupiliary distance is right in the middle.

I liked the Delos a lot, the eyecup design even better. Lovely big wide lenses too, and the 70 fov just right.

BUT, more than anything else, i'm put off be the sheer size of the Delos.

When you factor in 2 of them, the Mk V + diagonal, i'm going to be looking at close to 2Kg hanging off the focuser.

Do i need all this weight...? Changing between my Panoptics and maybe these Delos may require me repositioning the tube on my mount to reach balance.

This spells aggravation on dark, cold nights.

So.........now these new Vixens come along.

Here's a link to them on FLOs website.

>http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-ssw-83-degree-eyepieces.html

In short, at 210-220g they are less than half the weight of the Delos.

A full 83 deg fov.  At high power with an unpowered alt-az mount, this is a bonus.

Japanese build quality, using exotic ED Lanthanum and Tantalum (whatever that is !) glass.

Eye relief is a bit short : quoted at 13mm. But do they have the twist-up eyecups like their SLV cousins ?

i haven't been able to find out as yet, and further info on them is scarce at the moment.

The price is unconfirmed at present, but i'm sure they will be in the £220-£250 range.

I'm certainly very interested in them. Contrary to what you may think, i'm not JUST a Tv only observer.

I've always had a soft spot for Vixen gear, and not so many years ago i had a full set of LVWs back in my cyclops observing days.

I will watch the Vixen SSV rollout with interest. Hopefully some early user reviews will appear soon  :)

What do you eyepiece gurus think....?

They do look pretty  :D

Vixen make excellent stuff so I bet they are pretty high quality. Problem is I doubt very much you will see one in the flesh as they won't sell many, if they are priced the same as the TV Delos most people will opt for the Delos, leaving manufacturers selling the likes of these and the morpheus struggling.

They have got to entice buyers in by undercutting or adding something different, Baader have the safety kerfs design and glow in the dark writing as an example.

If you ever want to have a closer look at the Delos just pop round, kettle is always on.

• Like 1

I'm not too sure........ :dontknow:

The link i posted doesn't seem to work ?

www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-ssw-83-degree-eyepieces

I think this is great. :)

More competition, more choice, competitive prices. Seems like everyone is trying to raise their game and keep us lot happy.

If you can't afford an Ethos, Delos or Nagler and arn't satisfied with other bargain basement alternatives, there are lots of other options at a price point to suit everyone and hopefully with good quality to make them excellent value.

This is your link working Rob...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-ssw-83-degree-eyepieces.html

• Like 1

Im watching the current stock of LVWs coming down in price then I shall pounce on a couple. Don't think I will go for the new ones, well pleased with the LVWs

Thanks for sorting out the link Pete.

I never normally have trouble with them ; not sure what went wrong there.

I also had a play with that astronomy.tools  Field of view simulator. 

Very clever......and a very handy thing to have if you're a beginner  :)

They do look pretty  :D

Vixen make excellent stuff so I bet they are pretty high quality. Problem is I doubt very much you will see one in the flesh as they won't sell many, if they are priced the same as the TV Delos most people will opt for the Delos, leaving manufacturers selling the likes of these and the morpheus struggling.

They have got to entice buyers in by undercutting or adding something different, Baader have the safety kerfs design and glow in the dark writing as an example.

If you ever want to have a closer look at the Delos just pop round, kettle is always on.

You're right of course there Mick.

But i've just noticed Tv Delos are now listed at £273 (Widescreen) They've gone up a bit - by £20 or so.

I didn't think they would stay at that lower price for long. Other vendors list them at closer to £300.

If these new Vixens can come in at around £220 that maybe something to think about.

BUT, i'm sure they'll be £250, maybe more.

$349 is what i'm hearing the US price will be. Thats £225 at the current exchange rate. And there's little chance of that price here in the UK.

Also on a SGL thread they are saying the US release date is very soon, by the end of the month.

I look forward to reading the reviews over on CN  :)

Here's the thread on SGL if its of interest :

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/247119-vixen-lvw-replacer-on-the-way/

Edited by Bino-viewer

I think there seems to be a bit of new thinking going on with some of these new eyepieces ranges.

Through the years, a range of eyepieces has usually encompassed a wide range of focal lengths from say 3mm to 30mm for instance. The longer focal lengths requiring 2" and shorter ones 1.25" fittings to accommodate widely differing field lens sizes.

Most of these new ranges, TV Delos, Baader Morpheus and Vixen SSV ignore focal lengths that require bigger field lenses than 1.25" can accomodate. Maybe this simplifies and standardises the range enabling slightly cheaper overall prices and or better quality to be built in.

They do look sexy, yes I said that :P

I just don't know which I'd go for in that range as I have the 10, 13mm hyperions. I like the what looks to be anodising finish and the large sight glass is good too.

Im watching the current stock of LVWs coming down in price then I shall pounce on a couple. Don't think I will go for the new ones, well pleased with the LVWs

I love my LVW 22mm & would like to get others, but if the SSW 83s are of the same quality I could well be tempted, just depends how they price them in the UK.

They do look sexy, yes I said that :P

I just don't know which I'd go for in that range as I have the 10, 13mm hyperions. I like the what looks to be anodising finish and the large sight glass is good too.

I think that if you got the 10mm Vixen SSW, both your 10 and 13 Hyperions would be redundant. You'd have the same magnification as the 10mm Hyperion with the same wider true FOV as the 13mm Hyperion. I suspect the quality of the view in the Vixen would be better than the Hyperions.

I think that if you got the 10mm Vixen SSW, both your 10 and 13 Hyperions would be redundant. You'd have the same magnification as the 10mm Hyperion with the same wider true FOV as the 13mm Hyperion. I suspect the quality of the view in the Vixen would be better than the Hyperions.

Well, I suddenly feel down lol

Well, I suddenly feel down lol

Sell both your Hyperions and get the SSV. You'll have less faffing about with tuning rings etc. and probably not be out of pocket. All good :D .

Sell both your Hyperions and get the SSV. You'll have less faffing about with tuning rings etc. and probably not be out of pocket. All good :D .

It's worth a thought I guess, but the missus is wanting her own scope too, so maybe we could double up on eye pieces.

I could never get on with tuning rings, to much faffing about in the dark.

I've got to say, the Hyperion eyepieces do come apart easily and it didn't take much effort in fitting the rings outside last night, just the associated risk of contamination I guess.

Interestingly though, I stretched out the 10mm by converting it to a 5.8mm (x344) which did produce good views of the moons craters.

Wow x344 that was a lot considering the seeing last night.

It was really clear here, this was around 9:45 and I was shocked at how sharp the view was.

It's worth a thought I guess, but the missus is wanting her own scope too, so maybe we could double up on eye pieces.

Thats the spirit Martin !

Doubling up of eyepieces can mean only one thing..... :lol:

I have a 10mm SLV model and use it a lot, the twist up eye cup is very comfortable. Down side is that it is only a 50 degree ep but that glass is as good as any 'green top' I've got! I will keep my eye open for these when they surface!!

Edited by Ron Clarke