• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bahtinov Mask, DIY or PAY?

Perkil8r

I found an excelent site the other night that uses info you put in to generate a swv file to produce the perfect mask for your scope. Question is, do I use this to make one or not?? I have 2 ideas, I could either save the file and take it to a local laser cutter and aske them to cut me one in aluminium which I could of course spray paint or get blackodised. The other option I thought of was to use clear prespex and get my mate to cut me one in black vinyl and stick it to the persex. I could of course cut one by hand out of plasticard or something.

It's either that or am I as well to buy one off the shelf? I'm not exactly going to save much by DIY building one as they aren't expensive really. Of course I could always get some made as per method 1 above and sell some.

Pretty much what I thought, but there is a certain feeling of achievment knowing you made something yourself. Any hints on where's best to buy one? I've seen plenty on fleabay.

Guest Kheldar

Pretty much what I thought, but there is a certain feeling of achievment knowing you made something yourself. Any hints on where's best to buy one? I've seen plenty on fleabay.

The ones by morris-engraving

Thanks, looks like the chap I seen on fleabay selling them. Will get one in a week or two, need to give SWMBO some time to settle after her latest rant ;)

I made mine out of the plastic lids from Cadbury's celebrations 5kg tubs.

Took about 30mins but there was plenty to nibble on.

Guest Fluke
I made mine out of the plastic lids from Cadbury's celebrations 5kg tubs.

Took about 30mins but there was plenty to nibble on.

Handy Andy lol

Any excuse to buy a tub of sweets, plus the plastic is softer than plasticard. :D