• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eastern Veil Nebula - NGC6992

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

Imaging Session from 25/07/15

After setting up and waiting very patiently last night, the clouds finally cleared for around an hour so I was ready to pounce when it did,  as I imaged the Western Veil last weekend I decided to give the other ago..

The moon was up till late last night so I did struggle to with the moonlight to start with but overall I'm pleased with the outcome.

My guiding seems to be getting better with each session which is proving helpful for longer exposures.

19832494349_04b36c3e1f_k.jpgUntitled by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

Eastern Veil Nebula - NGC6992

20024244981_0a380dab7c_k.jpgEastern Veil - NGC6992 by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

The image consisted of 

5x 600 sec Lights

1x 400 sec Lights

1x 300 sec Lights

5x 600 sec Darks

1x 400 sec Darks

1x 300 sec Darks

Flats & Bias Frames added too.

And so you should be pleased with that result Steven!

That's a cracking image!

That's a cracking image. Your tracking looks exellent as well.  lots of tweaking I guess to get that good.

Dave

Great show, I was also out last night/this morning, but it was a bit hit and miss with the cloud/mist.

Your guiding graph looks nice and flat. Any reason you aren't using PHD2? I'm not suggesting that you should change, it your set-up works, leave it well alone...I'm having some issues with PHD2, the reason I am asking.

Guest StevenWhatley

Great show, I was also out last night/this morning, but it was a bit hit and miss with the cloud/mist.

Your guiding graph looks nice and flat. Any reason you aren't using PHD2? I'm not suggesting that you should change, it your set-up works, leave it well alone...I'm having some issues with PHD2, the reason I am asking.

yep i'm simply cannot get PHD2 to work.. I haven't figured out why but it just 9 times out of 10 wont get going for me, it will say no movement in RA Axis or something like that yet PHD will run straight away!!  so I gave up trying lol

nice image

I hear that quite a bit with PHD2

I guess the folks that get it to work don't shout up like the rest of us

Cracking image there Steven, I'm another PHD user who couldn't PHD2 to work properly, so join the club! :) :)

Great image and well done to anyone finding big enough breaks in the clouds this week.