• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

dob base wood/plywood

Astronigel

I'm looking to build a dob base for a 12"

I'm thinking maybe 1" plywood be best ? Or maybe I could get away with 3/4" to help keep weight,and costs down ??

I'd be happy to here any recommendations about where best to purchase it also before I start searching the net for suppliers :)

Thankyou

I reckon you would be fine with 3/4" ply, but make sure you buy marine ply, with normal ply if water get's in it will warp and delaminate. A few coats of yacht varnish would help it live longer.

David Kriege's Dob book is very highly regarded if you want to self build.

There's probably a few on here who own it..........?

Here's a link.

One problem, its £38

Not sure if you can source it a bit cheaper ?

But i'm told its the ATMs / Dob builders bible.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dobsonian-Telescope-Practical-Telescopes/dp/0943396557

I used to have a copy, I bought it on E-Bay for £10 ages ago, sold it for £30.

As you say really useful for building or modifying your dob.

I have this book, as I was told it is more comprehensive and up to date than Kriege one...

http://willbell.com/tm/PortableNewtonianTelescopes.htm

The book is superb and works out the best strategies for ease of use, with tested structural methods to enable the overall weight of the scope to be reduced to a minimum without affecting other aspects.

The author has an engineering background but suffers from some sort of muscle wasting medical problem, and therefore gets around using walking sticks and a wheelchair. This made him research telescope design and construction so that he could transport, setup and observe by himself.

Despite his disability and limited body strength, he built and uses a 24inch F3.3 dob!! :respect:

I'm looking to build a dob base for a 12"

I'm thinking maybe 1" plywood be best ? Or maybe I could get away with 3/4" to help keep weight,and costs down ??

I'd be happy to here any recommendations about where best to purchase it also before I start searching the net for suppliers :)

Thankyou

If you are building a complete dob from scratch then I would highly recommend reading both of the books mentioned above. However, if you just want to make a dob base for an existing 12 inch OTA then you can get way without that degree of knowledge IMO. (Still handy to have it though). I built a dob base for a 10 inch tube that worked perfectly well with much less knowledge than I have now & several other folks on the forum have done similar things. I'd expect to use 3/4 inch ply at the most for a 12 inch, though depends on the design I suppose.

Despite his disability and limited body strength, he built and uses a 24inch F3.3 dob!! :respect:

Yep, full respect to the chap for letting nothing stop him, would hate to collimate it though at that focal ratio.

:blink:

Thankyou for all the above replies, and book recommendations.

Basically I'm hoping to make my scope portable by converting it to a dobsonian, thinking of keeping tube assembly intact just making the base.

And of course side bearings to fit the tube.

I've built 2 dob bases. First from 3/4" MDF which if you apply MDF sealer prior to painting holds up fine in damp conditions, the other from 3/4 birch ply. The ply is lighter and nicer to work.

Thankyou for all the above replies, and book recommendations.

Basically I'm hoping to make my scope portable by converting it to a dobsonian, thinking of keeping tube assembly intact just making the base.

And of course side bearings to fit the tube.

I've just looked at your signature Nige :thumbsup:

Myself and I'm sure a few others on here would love to see some pictures of your scopes from yesteryear. Put some pics in Members Equipment section.

I've built 2 dob bases. First from 3/4" MDF which if you apply MDF sealer prior to painting holds up fine in damp conditions, the other from 3/4 birch ply. The ply is lighter and nicer to work.

+1 for birch ply, great stuff.