• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I'm going back to my finder days.

I'm thinking of going back to a correct image finder. I used to use one years ago in addition to a red dot finder but found on a large dobsonian there was no need for one. But as my scope is only 5" I'm going to renew my interest in a finder. 

The idea is locate rough position with red dot finder then hopefully narrow down position with finder.

Question is which one.

Interested in those 12x80 illuminated ones.

Illuminated reticules are an excellent addition Mick. I have a Meade 9x50 with led reticule and its very useful at dark sites. I used one of the old Antares 80mm finders awhile back and the extra apeture helped find the fainter stuff. Ive now settled on 9x50 max for my push-to sessions, together with a 40mm ep in the main scope I can usually find most things

The 12x80 RACI finder is excellent Mick. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the FOV is only 4 degrees, but using the Skysurfer with it should be ideal.

Otherwise from what I have read, the ES straight through erect image illuminated finder with its degree marked reticle and 6 degree FOV should be good. Hope to be able to let you know on that when I receive mine. Tracking puts it in Birmingham now. But that is Birmingham Alabama :)

Look forward to that Pete.

Is there any angled finder that gives about 7° fov.

I'm not sure on the specifiics of the individual finders, but most of the 8 or 9x50 ones are about 6 degrees.

Some 50mm RACI finders take standard 1.25" eyepieces, and there are various aftermarket wide angle cross hair eyepieces available, most of them illuminated. So it should be easy to make a finder provide a 7 or even 8 degree field. Most standard finder eps are about 25mm focal length and 55 degrees apparent FOV. However, due to the fact that most of the cheap amici prisms provided with these finders only have a clear aperture of about 20mm, which is barely enough to fully illuminate the field of the provided eyepiece, there is likely to be vignetting to some extent around the edge of the view when you push the FOV. Since these WA cross hair eyepieces are not too expensive, it would be good to experiment with this, and I've often heard it said that most vignetting is not too much of a problem. Especially in a finder, as you'd still benefit from the brighter stars visible in the extra wide field, although you might not notice that fuzzy till it is away from the edge.

Edited by Tweedledee

You could always make a finder to your own requirements.

I reckon this would probably make a very nice 10x75 finder with about a 10 degree field of view, but might cost £2k to £3k and upset your balance at 4 to 5kilograms with that 3" eyepiece, 3" diagonal and the Borg... :)

I dare say at that price it could be responsible for other upsets as well. :facepalm:

ES%2030-100%20Borg.jpg

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 1

Now that is stupid  :lol:

I do like the Stellavue F60 and F80 finders but then again only available in America.

How about the Altair Astro 60mm or 80mm finders they look pretty good.

Now that is stupid  :lol:

I do like the Stellavue F60 and F80 finders but then again only available in America.

How about the Altair Astro 60mm or 80mm finders they look pretty good.

I'm 99.9% certain that the ones you mention and the Teleskop Service one are all identical, they look the same just re-branded.

I have the TS 12x80 in black, but now I've seen the Altair one in white and black, I think the Altair looks much nicer.

The Antares 12x80 is identical too.

EDIT...

It seems optically identcal but personally I think it looks ugly :P

Edited by Tweedledee

The most attractive looking one is the Altair Astro one, it looks good in black and white.

What do you think the FOV will be on the Altair Astro one?

Mick - I have the 12x60 Altair illuminated raci. Also rockdoctor Dave has the 80 - but not seen him for a good while.

If you like I can bring the 60mm along to the WW meet on the 8th and you can have a play - I think it fits a SW standard foot.  :)

Hey mick, I have the Altair astro 80 mm finder and cannot recommend it highly enough. Absolutely awesome finder scope. Solidly built, crystal clear optics. You can easily see the globs and open clusters you're searching for in it. I saw M13 and M92 in it just the other night when I was attaching new focuser and getting all things lined up and collimated.

Hey mick, I have the Altair astro 80 mm finder and cannot recommend it highly enough. Absolutely awesome finder scope. Solidly built, crystal clear optics. You can easily see the globs and open clusters you're searching for in it. I saw M13 and M92 in it just the other night when I was attaching new focuser and getting all things lined up and collimated.

Well that is a good enough recommendation for me Felix. That's my Christmas present sorted out then  :lol:

They are very nice finders - crystal clear and work like a totally separate little scope in it's own right. That's how Olly Penrice described it in his review - and I totally agree. :)