• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

68 deg Explore Scientific 1.25" 24mm any good?

M.

I like the look of this eyepiece for the price of £120, originally I plan to buy the hyperion version at £85. I was just wondering if they're as good as they look for the jump in cost over the 24mm hyperion?

I have a bit of a gap in eyepieces between plossl 32mm (62x) and 16mm (125x) and thought this would make for a good choice.

Also I noticed the 68 deg 2" 28mm for that bit extra :/

Eyepiece headache  :facepalm2:

Plenty of choice here.......

Probably worth reading some of these threads......

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/187467-which-24mm-widefield-ep/

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/174262-another-eyepiece-thead/

The ES 24mm / 68*  seems well regarded. Its often compared with the Tv 24mm Panoptic.

I'm sorry, i can't give you an opinion on this ES eyepiece as i've not used it. I'm sure they are great though.

Now the 24Pan is worthy of a mention here. Its reportedly Tele-vue's best selling eyepiece,

and has pretty much the widest field you'll get in the 1.25" format. It has a very big following in the astro community.

One of my favourites, without a doubt. I like them so much i own two of them !

And i got very lucky earlier on in the year : i got my first 24Pan off eBay, and i was the only bidder  :) I was well pleased, and got it for £138  :P

BUT......back to your OP, if the ES 24/68 performs as well as the 24Pan, you won't go far wrong. You're on to a winner !! ;)

I've not seen those ES 24 Maxvisions before. 

Very competitively priced ; have you read any reviews etc ??

What about your plans for a low power eyepiece Martin ?

I suggested the Tv 55mm Plossl (or something similar) Any plans yet....?

Sorry Martin, I didn't notice that you wanted 1.25" size.

The 68 degree TV panoptic is really nice but I don't think you would get one second hand at the price you want to pay.

The ES 68 degree will be very nice in your scope, but I think the 28mm is a 2".

Here is a 56mm plossl going dead cheap on ebay that is good, and as Rob (Bino-Viewer) says will give the widest possible FOV in a 2" EP since the field stop is the edge of the 2" barrel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351447017995?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I read a 'Cloudy Nights'  report saying that the Meade 56mm gave a slightly better view than even the Televue 55mm!

Edited by Tweedledee
  • Like 2

Yes, that's a bargain if you can pick it up for that price.....

Yes, a very good eyepiece, and it's open to offers :)

I was tempted even though it won't be much use at my F ratios :lol:

I've not seen those ES 24 Maxvisions before. 

Very competitively priced ; have you read any reviews etc ??

What about your plans for a low power eyepiece Martin ?

I suggested the Tv 55mm Plossl (or something similar) Any plans yet....?

Many plans but little money

I think I'm at that what to buy next stage, stand is a must and have the money aside for it but at the same time a new ep is needed. I'm wanting to get dark site ready for the winter months that are approaching and money might be tight around then.

This would give an even better view in your C8 and is in your price range...

http://www.tringastro.co.uk/explore-scientific-maxvision-82-eyepiece-24mm-2-8970-p.asp

It would give an even wider true field of view than your 32mm plossl, but at higher magnification.

Is it bad that I like the look of the 68° version more, build quality and I'm assuming glass is that bit better? It's certainly well priced :/

Edited by M__