• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obsy Power Supply..

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

I removed an old CCTV power unit at work today and just happen to notice that it converts 240v ac to 12 v dc.

I'm wondering if this could be used in the shed/obs for powering my NEQ6/ Due Heater / Remote Focuser ect ect

it has 9 individual fused 12v outputs.. each are 4 amp.

Any Good????

20320207011_f7d427135e_k.jpg20150805_125923 by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

20126152590_d7c5d2e3ce_k.jpg20150805_125940 by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

Looks like the output from the main transformer is 24V ac. What's the electronics on the right doing?

Beat me to it. Wondered if there may be a potentiometer in there and there is.

I think it looks like it would work but I am sure others who know better than I can comment on whether or not it is the most efficient way and if the smoothed rectified ac would be suitably regulated.

4 amps will be a bit low for the mount when slewing. To get around this you can use two outputs in parallel to get a higher current draw in theory.

4 amps will not be enough i dont think, assuming you have dew heaters, focuser, any camera??

I actually use a bench unit, its much easier, 240v, 12volt output up to 30 amps i think run everything off that

has cigarette lighter sockets and direct connect ones.  you will have something drop out or worse if its only

4 amps

post-332-0-13870700-1438786496.jpg

Edited by Sheila

Guest StevenWhatley

ah ok Sheila...

I'm no electronics expert but just wondering if it would be 4amps per channel or 4 amps overall???

Thanks

The transformer is rated at 100VA (100 Watts) at 24V (st-uv24-w100).

100W / 12V = 4.16A. (likewise 100W / 24V = 2A)

That is 4.16A total. It also says it in the text Section 9 part C, which I only discovered after reading it :)

I would have thought that 4Amps would be enough, but the initial inrush current at the point of slewing could be more than this and there could be a voltage drop, depending on the load. Even a well balanced mount will have quite a lot of inertia to overcome until the mount actually starts moving.

If you have got a multimeter, make 100% sure that the output voltage is 12V and no more...if you haven't got one, get one, they are cheap and very useful.

• Like 2

Guest StevenWhatley

Thanks Stuart... I hooked up a socket to it and plugged in my voltage checker.. it read 12.6v so I hooked up a small 12 lamp and that was fine too..

I bit the bullet and tested the mount fully loaded and it slew fine..

However this was just the mount.. am I right in saying then it couldn't be used to power anything else as it would take amp away from the mount?

Edited by StevenWhatley

Likely hood is yes it will be too much. I am surprised it gave enough to power the mount to be honest. Fully loaded your mount will draw more current too don't forget.

I didn't read the instructions you posted just went off your description when I suggested using 2 outputs in parallel, since it is 4.5A overall I would say don't bother, you can buy cheap outdoor lighting transformers off eBay and the such for around £20-30 that will give 20A overall across multiple outlets and they are waterproof too. I plan on using one for my power needs.

Guest StevenWhatley

Ah ok..

well maybe some of the electrics can be saved for a future project :)

Thanks for al the advise folks !!