• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Zoom eyepieces, do we like them?

M.

Ok, eyepieces such as the Skywatcher 1.25" hyperflex and Baader mk III

What is the clear advantage and disadvantage of such eyepieces and what are your personal experiences with them?

Edited by M__

I can understand why people like them, mainly for convenience but I prefer single eyepieces, you get better quality and a little larger field of view. But saying that I would love to try some of the more expensive ones such as the Leica and Zeiss zooms, they are meant to be top notch.

Out of all the zooms around many people rave about the Baader Mk111 so if any that would be the one I would buy.

Guest StevenWhatley

I recently purchased the Baader Mark 3 for the reason Doc mentioned.. convenience!!

I find it a very good eyepiece.. at max zoom the image is a little soft but overall its very capable and a lot less hassle in a dark field.

Gets an 8/10 from me.

I have owned the Baader MKIII 8-24 mm zoom eye piece in the past.

It was my first purchase (eye piece wise) after sticking with the 2 stock ep's that came with my scope for over a year.

A big improvement over the stock ep's in both quality of materials, and views through the ep.  Narrow FOV though which at the time I did not mind but now being used to 100 degree field of view, I could not go back to.  Also a bit of the "seagull" affect close to the field stop but again, back then I was not so bothered about.

A good versatile ep, you have every focal length between 8 and 24mm in 1 ep, with click stops at 8, 16, 20 and 24 mm (I think - going from memory) so from a simplicity point of view, you have 1 ep, not 28!

I found it was not par-focal like they say it is but the amount I had to adjust the focuser to achieve focus was small.

So for me, a massive improvement over the stock ep's but no where near as good as a quality fixed focal length ep.

Edited by Daz Type-R

+1 for the Baader zoom. Great performance at a reasonable cost - and if you've only ever had supplied eyepieces you'll be blown away. :)

Vixen LV 8-24 zoom. Had it for years, very versatile and excellent in my lunt 60. Its slso smaller and lighter than the Hyperion version

Edited by philjay

I have been considering one of these for the dob. There's nothing more a anoying than losing an object when changing eyepieces especially if you push a little to much.

I've only tried one out at a trade show.

It was a Baader Mk3 8-24, on a HA solar scope.

I personally did not really get on with it.

They do have an advantage thats not been mentioned though.

Imagine you are observing in mediocre seeing conditions, whether it be solar or lunar , or planets.

And you are at the reasonable limit of magnification because of the iffy seeing.

Sometimes, as we all know, the seeing can suddenly improve. But it only lasts a few seconds.

I've spent plenty of sessions looking at Jupiter where this has happened.

But it would be much handier with a zoom where you could crank up the magnification to make the most out of that brief window.

• 5 months later...

Sorry if I digging up a dead post...but this interests me. I'm looking at this (with the Hyperion Zoom Barlow)and from what I understand, it's a ok ep. Also like the idea on hooking up a T-ring for DSLR (even though the scope isn't the best for pics).

If, your expertize, would these be better? Looking around the £100-£200 mark.

I bought the zoom for my Nexstar 6SE, it's a huge improvement over the standards (with a new diagonal). Got mine from RVO, they sell the lens plus the barlow as a package for £235.

Alan

I have the zoom eyepiece, it's a dead handy eyepiece for finding things then zooming in and having a good look, it's one of my favourite eyepieces. It's certainly one of the best zoom eyepieces.

True, the prime focus eyepieces will have the edge visually, but they aren't as flexible. You will defo find it a vast improvement over the stock ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info....

Just gotta sweet talk the Mrs now....but may have a way around this but I could do with some help.

I got this for her a week back, got some ok(ish) pics of the moon. Will this set up connect to the zoom eyepiece (Baader Hyperion) or would I need a new T-ring for the Nikon D3300? I understand that there is a screw thread under the rubber eyepiece for a T-ring?

Sorry for the brain ache.

Yup - the T-ring for your Nikon will screw straight onto the Baader zoom to attach a dslr for afocal imaging. T-ring's all have the same thread. Just peel the rubber eyepiece cover off and there it is. :)

I have a Skywatcher zoom about 10-12 years old. It adds a lot of chromatic aberration and it isn't parfocal. It stayed unused for a while until I bought my PST and then you don't get chromatic aberration with narrowband light.

I wouldn't bother attaching a camera to the Baader zoom. I used to have one and there's no way of locking the zoom (as far as I know). Very easy for the camera to turn on the eyepiece and lose focus.