• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First try with binoculars

PolygonPi

Random story time.

I was back at my parents' farm last weekend, a few miles outside Luton, and while it's hardly a dark park of the country the light pollution is a fair bit better than in Ashby. It was looking like it would be a fairly clear night and I hadn't brought the scope back but my parents had a cheap pair of binoculars lying around, so I thought I'd have a go. I think they were Visionary 20x60, fairly cheap and far too much magnification for handheld use, but better than nothing. 

Using them in the day they were super shaky I just could not get a single image - it was double vision all the way. They definitely looked misaligned both vertically and horizontally, but holding them twisted sideways slightly helped... not ideal! I don't know whether it was the binos or if my eyes are a bit out, but I'm absolutely fine using virtual reality headsets and other 3D things, so I suspect my eyes are fine. But, they weren't my binoculars so I figured I'd better stay away from the screwdrivers :)

Anyway, it got dark and even with suspect equipment (although the double vision seemed to abate at night) I think I'm a convert to the wonders of binocular astronomy! It's so easy to scan around and find things (less so at 20x, but...). Wedging myself up against various walls I ticked off the double cluster - very pretty, from what I could see through the shakes - and M31, which was a very bright and obvious elongated smudge. Then I had a quick go at M13 before my arms and eyes started complaining and I called it a night.

I don't want to be spending more money at the moment, but after a quick bit of reading around I've got some Celestron Cometron 7x50s on order. I saw some good reviews and for under £35 quid all in it's not the end of the world if they're a bit dodgy, and certainly should be better than nothing. If I get on alright with binos then it's not long until Christmas when I can put a better set on my wishlist...  Maybe someone will let me look through a better pair at a meet before then, and rule out my eyes just being broken :)

• Like 2

It's addictive and as you have found out pretty cheap compared to what you can spend in this hobby. It's also a great way to learn the sky.

There are some things that are only really any good in binoculars, as they are spread across a large area of the sky. Anywhere in the Cygnus region is just somewhere to get lost in for a good while. Those 7X50's will serve you well, particularly if you only hand hold them. Granted scopes have their place, but binoculars seem to be that bit more relaxing.

Yes, binoculars are wonderful and you will see far more than you expect.

They are so easy to use, and make the ultimate grab n go :thumbsup:

Glad you persisted with the 20 x 60's, though it sounds like they need collimating 😊

Bins are brill ðŸ‘

You will find the 7x 50's much easier to handle and shake will be minimal.

Nice report, thanks for that.

I don't own a pair but I think I really need too, Christmas is not that far away........

Nice to hear you had a good experience with the bins. I have an old pair of Russian 7x50's that I inherited from my father in law. They are brill, easy to hand hold, bright and with a good field of view. They are also great for daytime use as they're bright and less fussy to focus.

Bins are great, but a 20x60 definitely needs a tripod, which can be an issue if - like me - your are a bit on the tall side. The tripod mentioned below (recommended to me by Felix) is a good choice. Recently aquired a set of 7x50 Zeiss http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/10225-anyone-seen-or-have-a-pair-of-these/ as I couldn't resist buying after trying them. Not all bins work well with specs either; although I tend not to wear mine, my Pentax bins have sufficient eye relief to do so.

Alan.

Cheers guys. Looking forward to the 7x50s turning up, something completely different to what I'm used to with the scope.

We've got our first little one on the way in December and I suspect I'll be up a lot at funny times of the night, so I reckon the bins might let me sneak out for the odd quick session (listens for the raucous laughter at my naivety from the experienced parents...)

:Hahaha: - You'll barely have enough energy left to lift a pair of 7x50s even if you found the spare time, so make the most of them while you can. :D  :thumbsup: