• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New 3D Eyepieces

Doc

Denkmeier are about to release a brand new 3d eyepiece have a look at the following link.

I think they are for binoviewers only so Rob will be pleased.

http://deepskybinoviewer.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=33&CFID=46990449&CFTOKEN=77345398

A review is here:

http://www.doctordreviews.com/3d-eyepieces.html

A_W_LOA21_2.jpg

Edited by Doc

Sounds like interesting and exciting stuff, yet somehow it seems a bit false at the same time. But the reviewer who is obviously an experienced observer seems well impressed with them.

Very interesting, thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Yes Mick, you are right. They are indeed for bino-viewing only. 

(i.e. only one of the eyepieces has the array built in.)

Its always nice to see new developments in the hobby, especially the visual side of it.

I've read glowing reports that these things are 'game changers'

I follow Cloudy Nights 'bino-viewing' forum closely, and have followed the development of these new eyepieces for the last 6 months or so.

The L-O-A stands for Lederman Optical Array. (after Russ Lederman of Denkmeier Optical)

If you look at the Denk website (which is a shambles) there is a video section, and you can see Russ showcasing them.

Probably better suited to largish aperture dobsonians.

They will also work in any bino-viewers, not just the Denk ones.

Am i interested....? You bet i am...!!  :)

I don't think they are available just yet, but it shouldn't be too long now.

But i need to join the 'Dob' club first, and thats over a year away yet.

Edited by Bino-viewer

This is an interesting concept. The reviewer found the experience of 3D to be fascinating, similar to experiencing 3d on flat screen TVs.

Ok it is not true 3d, you only have one source, but I can imagine it has an enhancing effect on globs etc.

It's good to see new ideas coming onto the scene...

Personally, I have not even looked through a bino- viewer yet, never mind 3d effects, but if it enhances the view, then I think it could catch on... Particularly with existing bino viewing astronomers...

Down side is you may need several pairs of these to cover a range of magnifications etc which would turn out to be quite expensive...

This is an interesting concept. The reviewer found the experience of 3D to be fascinating, similar to experiencing 3d on flat screen TVs.

Ok it is not true 3d, you only have one source, but I can imagine it has an enhancing effect on globs etc.

Personally, I have not even looked through a bino- viewer yet, never mind 3d effects, but if it enhances the view, then I think it could catch on... Particularly with existing bino viewing astronomers...

Down side is you may need several pairs of these to cover a range of magnifications etc which would turn out to be quite expensive...

I agree Steve, nice to see new and different ideas coming to the hobby.

I too have never looked through binoviewers yet, but I'm very intrigued by this new twist for a different visual experience. Other focal lengths of 3d eyepieces will probably be forthcoming, but in the meantime, the use of different powered barlows/powermates before the binoviewer might be a cheaper alternative.

Notice the reviewer is the author of the eyepiece book we've both been reading.

I too have never looked through binoviewers yet, but I'm very intrigued by this new twist for a different visual experience. Other focal lengths of 3d eyepieces will probably be forthcoming, but in the meantime, the use of different powered barlows/powermates before the binoviewer might be a cheaper alternative.

Paolini! No I had not noticed that! Well spotted

The sale of power mates could well go up... Cheers Pete!

Remember though a system like the Denkmeier Binotron 27 comes with a powerswitch, enabling 3 different magnifications with just one pair of eyepieces.

Makes a lot of sense.

Remember though a system like the Denkmeier Binotron 27 comes with a powerswitch, enabling 3 different magnifications with just one pair of eyepieces.

Makes a lot of sense.

True Rob, but it's getting quite expensive at 1000 dollars a set of denkmeier... But like I said, I have never tried Binos before, and the experience could well justify it...😊

I am off fishing now, and I am using a rod and not a pole 😄, so what does that tell you... 😀☺ï¸ðŸŽ£

Makes a lot of sense.

Of course, I didn't think of that.

Very convenient system :thumbsup:

That's very interesting.

So from what I can tell, there are five small square mini lenses on one of the eyepieces. The middle one bends the light a bit to the side, the other four bend the light a bit less to the side, giving some kind of fake parallax against the rest. Makes sense. That would explain why they're seeing the occasional double stars - you're going to get artefacting along the leading and trailing edges. Have to admit I was very skeptical that such a crude system would produce good results, but having read all of the review I'm now very intrigued! I can only assume that the nature of what you're looking at (still image, mostly dark, small bright details) works very well to hide the limitations - it would look terrible viewing 'normal' things.

It's a cool idea, but I wonder if it might be a bit gimmicky. It'll be interesting to see if people are still using these after having them for a while, or if the novelty wears off. But we have 3D vision, so any approach to utilise it to enhance the viewing experience is interesting!

This is exactly the way I was figuring it Andy, but you described it so well. :thumbsup:

I'm also thinking that it seems rather fake and gimmicky, but when someone respected like BillP reviews them in such an exciting way, I tend to take notice. If he says they are an exciting new experience, then I'm interested.

They have really got me intrigued and checking my finances :o

Edited by Tweedledee