• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

3D printing scope parts

Tweedledee

I'm dabbling with 3d printing of scope bits.

I don't have a 3d printer, but there are many people out there on a 3d printing website who will provide a price and then print whatever you want.

Obviously there are some things that will only be suitable if made from steel or aluminium, but other things may be more durable in ABS or some of the many other materials that can now be printed.

My first problem to be resolved in this way, was mounting my new finder from the USA. It is made by Explore Scientific and has an odd shaped finder foot. After searching online, no one makes an adapter to convert this to fit a Skywatcher finder shoe. Well, online I traced a 3d printing file for the very thing I needed. It was designed by an EMS member called Ismangil. Perry Ismangil from Sheffield obviously knows his stuff and is capable of creating 3d printing files. He is not an active member, has zero posts on EMS and has not logged in since joining in 2012. I submitted his file to a guy on 3d Hubs and paid the grand sum of £12.02p including p&p, and 4 days later, this morning actually, the finished article is pushed through my letterbox. By pleasant coincidence my new finder also arrived today from across the pond. :)

First off, I needed to know that the ABS plastic adapter would fit. It is a very tight fit and needed a bit of manipulation and pressure to get it properly slotted on. But in hindsight, this is just the way it should be, and it will come off again but this also takes a bit of doing. Once fitted the finder slots perfectly into the SW finder shoe and when the knurled holding screw is tightened it clamps the ABS even tighter to the metal of the finder foot. Job's a good'n. :2thumbsup:

I have since been in contact with a printer in Germany who operates a top of the range 3d printer capable of very high resolution, capable of using every material available to print with, and can take on larger sized print jobs if required. This very helpful guy will not only print from pre-done 3d printing files available online, but if I send him a photo of simple drawing with measurements, he will interpret this and program it into a bespoke 3d printing file and then print the item for me. He is currently working on two custom prints for use on my dob. He has recommended a material called Colourfabb XT in black, which will apparently be more durable than ABS for these particular items. I will report back on those, whether successful or not when I get them.

I have other ideas on the drawing board for printing.

I'm quite excited by the possibilities of this 3d printing. :)

Here's some pics...

Ismangils adapter...

MeadeOrionOpticsFinderscopeShoeAdapterRe

20150807_195826.jpg

20150807_201803.jpg

20150807_200027.jpg

• Like 2

By the way, if anyone knows Ismangil, maybe he's on SGL, perhaps you could point him over here to this thread.

I'm sure he will be pleased to know his design is being put to good use.

I tried to PM Ismangil to thank him, but of course, with zero posts, he cannot use the PM system.

Interesting stuff.

3D printing is ideal for short runs and quick turnarounds, you thinking about getting one?

Interesting stuff.

3D printing is ideal for short runs and quick turnarounds, you thinking about getting one?

No chance, can't afford all the astro stuff I'd like, so even an entry level 3d printer is out of the question.

Interesting stuff Pete. This could be the way forward in making all the intricate fiddly bits that are hard to make from aluminium.

An interesting post Pete, well worth considering instead of a bodge job! 😊

We had a 3d printer where I worked ( but I am retired now 😄). It was fascinating to see things made on it.. The process is slow but effective and is certainly catching on especially in the production of prototypes and one off's.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a Vector 3 printer. It's basically the complete commercial version of the Eaglemoss magazine printer that you can build month by month.

If you can get a design as a .stl file and don't mind it in plastic I can print up to  140 x 140 x 135mm.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've used my 3d Printer to create mounts for lights and iphone etc for my bike. I've so far only used PLA as a medium but I'm told ABS is more sturdy (Interestingly PLA is water soluble but I've not witnessed any degredation so far). Things like finder brackets, Knurled knobs are easy and there's a wealth of designs in the public domain. Also worth a try is Autodesk Fusion 360; a parametric 3d modelling package.

I have a couple of projects planned for the cloudy nights in winter.

Guest Pingster

I love 3D printers and have made parts for my business that are almost impossible to make accurately and consistently by hand.

I have often considered making astro stuff. But i feel i need an lazer resin 3D printer as astro stuff needs to be super strong. The nozzle heat printers are not strong enough imo for serious astro use.