• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Any Perseids so far?

It was quite hazy down south and M34 was a struggle, even for 70mm bins. I didn't see any Perseids but wonder if there were any fainter ones that I missed.

Saw half a dozen last night at the meeting in WW - one even shot straight through my bins. :)

I saw a few last night as well Kim from WW. They were Perseids as they were heading towards Perseus.

I saw a few last night as well Kim from WW. They were Perseids as they were heading towards Perseus.

Hi Mick,

I think that's a typo but I have often noticed "reverse Perseids" and other sporadics while watching the shower.

The best 3 I saw from home last night came by Vega heading towards Polaris? Sporadics?

Hi Mick,

I think that's a typo but I have often noticed "reverse Perseids" and other sporadics while watching the shower.

Yes you are right   :D

I caught half a dozen or so at WW as well, just fast and faint mostly, but a couple of bright ones.

Watching ISS part 2 last night, i saw a bright one passing across the path off the iss about 30 secs before it went in to shadow  :)

Probably seen by many.....

Saw 9 or 10 from the garden in half an hour just now, before the clouds came over completely.

Can only see one or two stars through the clouds here - I keep popping out but not seen a single Perseid so far.

seen a few in the last hour cloud starting to come in now me and the wife in the garden with a quilt over us how romantic :blush:  :wub:  

I've just been outside and seen precisely one Perseid. Not exactly a shower lol :lol:

Look towards Perseus in the North East Paul - and welcome to EMS :)

Had a great night in the garden in Mansfield. Been out with ST120 and 15x70 bins since before 10pm. No clouds here, milky way looking good and a pleasant, warm atmosphere. I'm feeling very impressed with my new eyepieces and ES finder. My newly fitted pan and tilt handle is so conveniant and precise to use.

Forgot all about the Perseids while bagging clusters and nebulae in the Delos and Speers WALER zoom. Seen all the usual brighter DSOs and a few interesting more obscure gems. Being rivetted mainly to the eyepiece, I only saw one first mag meteor with a long path from Perseus side of the zenith going a long way south. Just amazed at the number of artificial satellites visible many telescopic. Was totally side tracked with looking through the scope and missed the ISS pass at 10.28pm.

Decided I'm going to cut an inch off the OTA and refit the focuser so I can get focus with both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces with out changing diagonals. Got too little in focus but loads of out focus. Other alternative might be a lower profile dual speed focuser.

Thoroughly enjoyed the session :)

I stayed up for a bit and managed two sporadic's, one being really bright, but my sky was poor and lots of Light pollution. I did get our resident hedgehog wander under my chair.

Don't forget this shower isn't over, there will be meteors from it for a good few days as it slowly decreases in intensity. If the weather is good over the weekend I'll be having a look.

The are meteors hitting the Earth all the time, so it's worth while just having a few minutes just looking up any time of the year. I have been lucky enough to see a couple of really bright fireballs which seem to go on for ages. 

Currently on holiday in the south Lake District, really dark sky here, it threw me for a while as I couldn't make out Persius, got it eventually though.

Spent an hour sitting out the back of the van, saw quite a few, some really bright.

Hi

saw three from back garden, one brighter than the other two which were quite faint just about 10.45 before the patchy cloud rolled over, and saw the ISS as well.

rick