• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which powertank/battery?

Celeste

Ok so my old powertank/car charger has died a death (left it too long uncharged  :facepalm: ) Although when I used it with my HEQ5 Pro it wasn't quite strong enough, the mount was a tad, slow if you know what I mean? My question is, what do you suggest that will run the mount better? I'm thinking of getting 2 so I can run a lappy and camera equipment too, as and when I get a decent CCD :)

Thanks

Hi Nicky. I use a 20 Ah sealed lead acid battery and a CTEK MXS 3.8 (intelligent) charger on my HEQ5Pro. I've run it for about 5 hours with a dew heater pulling about 1.25 Amps and not had any problem with running out of juice. It'll charge fully during the day and be ready for the next night. I went down this route precisely because of reading about the sort of problems you've had. I figured that the money would be better spent on the battery than a posh plastic case and stuff you'll never use. The charger is supposed to be capable of maintaining the battery and can be left connected as it senses the state of charge and switches modes to suit. I don't leave it connected, but do charge after every session and periodically as well.

I bought a 3 way ciggy lighter socket and in line fuse to connect it up with.  

The Skywatcher power tanks are expensive for their size/capacity. If you don't mind the weight, I think you'd be better off with a leisure battery

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/platinum-75ah-leisure-battery-s685l-p342323

Loads more capacity and much less risk that it'll run out on a long, cold session. There are plenty of decent chargers available at reasonable prices. I've got one of these (as I think a couple of other forum members do)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwize-Motorcycle-Automatic-Trickle-Batteries/dp/B0012U5BO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439202898&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+charger+lead+acid

I put my battery in a toolbox with wheels on the base to it easier to cart about.

Got both the skywatcher power tank and 22ah tracer battery. Both are good but the tracers it's lovely and small