• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Orkney

Guest Avo

Hi Ian welcome to EMS. I would love to visit the Orkneys especially from a bird watching point of view.

Ian,

welcome to EMS and what a great part of the country to live in. I rtavelled the West coast 3 years ago for a holiday and had one of the best holidays ever. Still travel to Fort Augustus for a job we have going on there and I'm hopeful to get a site visit at another hydro scheme at Scourie.

Dave

Hi Ian, a warm welcome to EMS.

Next time you visit Loughborough, give us a shout and we will see if we can get to bump into you.

Hi Ian and welcome. I was on orkney a few years ago. A lovely place to stargaze from.

Thanks fellas.

I live on Hoy, one of the south isles.

The skies are not bad, although we have the dreaded "Flotta Flare" from the oil terminal on the next island. I can make out Orion's nebula unaided (a fuzzy blob). They do say the north isles are better for LP.

There is an establish sky watcher; John Vetterlain who has a web site and writes for the local paper. http://www.spanglefish.com/northernskies/index.asp?pageid=270131

The aurora is not uncommon, but we do have clouds...........(been cloudy and wet ever since I got a new eyepiece off ebay. !!)

I work on the local ferry and walking to work early in the mornings I'd stare at the sky wondering what they all are. So the wife bought me a planetarium, then along came a 200P and here I am.....

Apart from the clouds it sounds like an idylic lifestyle Ian - nice slow pace - walk to work under the skies - chug across the water - no dashing up and down motorways every day, and manic bosses who want everything yesterday - I'm jealous lol :)

• 3 weeks later...