• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSLR Cool Box Version 1 & 2

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

I have fancied ago at building one of these for a while so finally took the plunge..  I ordered all the bits of eBay (I'm still waiting for the Thermometer & Control unit to arrive)

So I built the Peltier Cooler by using 2x Heat Sinks / x1 Peltier Plate Module / 2x Fans running at 12v / 5amps

Any how here is Version 1

20271318300_1b62a63ae1_k.jpgDSLR Cool Box V1 by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

20272852339_ec1861c3de_k.jpgDSLR Cool Box V1 by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

Version 2 - Just a slightly smaller box and a little tidied with the construction.. Next I need to add the insulation.

20271309310_4f8e30131f_k.jpgDSLR - Cool Box V2 by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

19838489943_bf35de7a5e_k.jpgDSLR - Cool Box V2 by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

20271450478_72056cf77d_k.jpgDSLR - Cool Box V2 by Steven Whatley, on Flickr

Seems a bit OTT to me Steve? I added a double battery box that leaves the battery compartment empty and much cooler, had no problems so far!

I'll check it out at Anderby ! ;):)

They may laugh now but they won't when you appear on Dragons Den - remember the one who didn't scorn as i will be still saving for my 20 inch (telescope !) by then ;)

Interesting idea

Sorry Steven but I cannot see the advantage.

Without the peltier touching the camera's chip I cannot see what you are going to gain.

As most of your imaging will be done on cold dark winter nights the cool box becomes obsolete as the ambient temp will be lower than that inside the box.

The ones I have machined up for people in the past pass through the camera body and rest against the chip.

This method makes a huge difference.

The acid test will be to see what the temperature gets up to after say 1 hour of imaging with cooling turned off and then after an hour with cooling on.

The temperature is embedded in the EXIF file.

It'd be well worth getting an external PSU for the camera. The battery is a source of heat as it works and as you approach -20 degrees, lithium cells perform very badly.

I would keep an eye open for condensation forming, it does this readily in my cool box and even with kitchen paper in the bottom there is still a lot of liquid water. I would hate to see your camera ruined.

• 2 weeks later...

As a matter of general interest, would putting the camera in your fridge (minus battery, lens) have the same (any) effect ??

Would it make any difference for me ? I'm shortly about to start some wide-angle imaging once my new lens arrives.

I'm planning stacking multiple 30 sec images using a wide angle lens and very high ISO's.

Sorry if i'm hijacking the thread. 

Thanks.