• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dew set up finally sorted

Doc

Have finally sorted out my dew set up in time for Kelling.

It consists of a 12v 8ah Gel battery which should last most of the night and will be charged during the day. Thinking about buying a second battery as well. I needed this size as it fits into the dovetail clamp opposite the one I use for the scope. The good thing about Gel Batteries is that can be run upside down, or on their side it doesn't matter unlike normal batteries.

Vob9Cr.jpg

This runs down to a dew controller from R-Sky of Russia, I've used this firm before, they make very good quality stuff at very reasonable prices.

IcMvj6.jpg

VK3ao9.jpg

Then this runs to a dew strap for the lens cell, a dual finder dew strap for the Baader Skysurfer, and finally a large eyepiece strap for large 2" eyepiec es simailar to the Televue Delos and Nagler range.

OSqBtE.jpg

gyyYl5.jpg

aZovwK.jpg

So just another battery and a battery charger to buy as a gel battery needs a special type of charger.

Edited by Doc

Nice one Mick, that looks like good solution.

Have you thought about a dry run, testing the whole dew setup during the day, to see how long your 12v bat will last with all heaters attached,

also checking the heat on the straps is consistent and bat voltage etc at intervals.

Cheers!

Counterbalancing and dew control at the same time - excellent idea!

I'd be tempted to put a couple of long cable ties around the battery and mount shoe just in case the clamp loosens as the temperature drops and metal shrinks. At least if it did come off, the battery wouldn't yank everything it's attached to.

Superb solution though. :)

Thanks guys.

Yes Stephen I'm going to do that when I get the battery charger. I've tried it and the straps all get warm, but haven't tested how long it lasts for but It's only drawing 1.4ah so it should last about 5 hours. So if I get a spare battery should be sorted.

Nice one Mick, reminds me I must sort my dew stuff out ready as well! :)

And me...........

Clever idea Mick to use that vacant saddle.

It says 20 to 40 days delivery on their website.

How long did yours take from order to delivery?

About 10 days Pete.

I did query the time before I ordered and he said he would package it as soon as I had paid for it, which he did and I got a tracking number to prove it. Russian Post are pretty slow, but then it's cheap and you pay no tax so I went for it.

Thanks Mick, they certainly do look good for the price, and it seems delivery time need not be too long.

I like the finder heater, with eyepiece and objective heaters on one cable and the neat and compact single channel controller.

It all looks just right on a 120mm scope :)

They do feel very well made especially the large 2" eyepiece strap. Next time we meet I'll show them to you, I think you will be impressed.