• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lomand Hill, Fife 15/08/15

tuckstar

So I'm staying at a friends in fife and managed to bring the scope along. Last night was one of the clearest nights I've seen for a long time, and the skies are nice and dark. Found a car park, unfortunately the local kids use it at night for what ever it is they do in dark car parks at night, but no problem and just shut my eyes when they came past.

My friend has an interest in astro and thinking of getting a scope so a quick gander at the usual suspects, double cluster, M13, M57, M27 and andromeda just as a taster. A good few persieds and Milky way clearly visible as well. He was very happy and went off home to bed as he gets married today. I made that mistake 2 years ago, so I got to stay out ☺.

So next was the blue flash nebula, little dumbbell nebula and globular clusters M15, M2, ngc 6934 and 7006 in delphinus, M71, M72. Then some galaxies, M51 looked the best I've seen it and after some time at the eyepiece the dust lanes were starting to come out, even at 22° alt, the same for M33 and M101, just amazing. Then on to M81 M82 again plenty of details, and also got ngc 3077 a 9.9mag spiral in ursa major. But the highlight for me was my first glimpse of the western veil nebula, and i dont have any filters. So come 2am it was either more clothes or come home. No brew kit so I called it a night, but could happily been there till sun up given a chance.

An amazing part of the country when it is clear, when! So dark even with the local quaker oats factory blazing out light to the south. Shame as the southern horizon was washed out.

Edited by tuckstar

I know that spot well, as I stay near there frequently with work. The view on a clear night is pretty good apart from the distant glow from Edinburgh. Last time I went up at night was to try and catch the aurora, without success unfortunately.

Glad you had a nice session at a dark site. :)

Bagged lots of good stuff from there, including some elusive planetary nebulae and galaxies :thumbsup: