• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Explore Scientific 82° eyepieces

PolygonPi

It's about time I thought about upgrading my eyepieces. I've still got the ones that came with my scope (not sure exactly what they are, Skywatcher 25mm and 10mm ones) and the 10mm in particular seems quite bad. I don't want to be spending hundreds but I assume I'm on the steep part of the price/performance curve here, so any new eyepiece should be significantly better...

Reading around a bit the Explore Scientific 82° 11mm caught my eye. Nice wide FOV, nearly the same magnification as my existing 10mm, read some good things quality-wise and reasonably priced. Or maybe the 8.8mm is a better replacement, with the wider FOV compensating for the higher mag.

Just wondering if people have any opinions on these? Are they worth the money, and would one be suitable for my f/5 scope? Slightly intimidated by all the options out there.

Explore Scientific ep's quality wise are very good, so that's a good start. In your scope you will get 91x mag and 0.9 degrees True Field of View (the full moon is 0.5 degrees). It's a 1.25" ep and only weights 279 grams, eye relief is OK at 15mm. In your scope this ep will give you an exit pupil size of 2.2 mm, while in the small ish side, I wouldn't worry at all.

I think this is a very good upgrade to get you started and will certanly blow the socks off the standard eps you have been using and will proberbly be an ep you will keep.

The 82 degree eyepieces are great in my opinion. I have the 4.7,. 11 and the 24 mm eyepieces and really like them

There are lots of good reports about the ES 82 degree series and they are excellent value for money. The 11mm in particular seems to be well liked :thumbsup:

Well that was quick. There was a nearly new 11mm on ABS for a good price, and turns out the seller was 10 mins up the road, so now I just need some clear skies to test it out :)

• Like 2

Nice find Andy :2thumbsup:

List your eyepieces in your signature. I'm always interested to know what people are using.