• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Clear night in Cranwell, Lincs

RonC

The sky cleared as the Sun went down and the Moon was low and behind the house. I checked the MN190's collimation as it was mid July since it was used, just a tweak on the secondary and all OK. Polar aligned as soon as Polaris was in view and 2 star aligned about 30 mins later! Just doing visual tonight so a glass of Rose was sought out. Only had my T shirt on till finishing time just after Midnight which seems a rare occurance these days! Decided to check out some clusters and started with M15 and M2 which were just in the right position for easy viewing. They looked great in a 7mm EP and the contrast was really good considering it wasn't truly dark yet! Onto M71 and the Double Cluster in Perseus both really good in a dark sky, the Double Cluster looked great in a 2" 32mm EP just like jewels sparkling! Looked at an old favourite, Albererio whose colours were truly different in last night's clean still air. Checked out a few other targets but M27 looked great and I thought about fixing the camera up but it was getting late! M31 and M33 were looking good and I finished with a lazy scroll across the Milky Way right through Cygnus, I still get a thrill seeing all those stars up there even though I now prefer to photograph them! Packed up at 12.30 as a bit of high drifty cloud wisped across and packed up the scope and obsy about 12.45, Still in a T shirt! An enjoyable but rare night!!

Cheers

Ron

Sounds like a brilliant visual session :thumbsup:

I bet those globulars and the tight M71 looked superb at high power in your MN190 :)

It's nice to have a unhurried wander around. That's my problem, if you can call it that. I make lists of things I want to look at, usually forget the list and just end up looking at the old favourites and just milling around.

That was a nice night you had there Ron. 

Sounds like you had a great time Ron.

Good job it was dark if you only had a T shirt on  :o  :facepalm:

Sounds like you had a great time Ron.

Good job it was dark if you only had a T shirt on  :o  :facepalm:

I did hear screams from my end of the village - horror not delight :ph34r:

Great report Ron.

It's very rare you can observe till late in shorts and T shirt, it's only happened to me a few times but it's great when the weather allows.

On nights like that, I quite often browse using binoculars while doing some constellation and deep sky shots. Clear skies are very rare at the moment.