• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

80ED Ready, Aim, Fire!

Guest Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

So I might be a little premature in putting the scopes out, but getting a little excited for first light tonight :) (Plus cunningly cheap USB hub / adaptor combo!)

Let's just hope NATO aren't doing low pass-overs today ... :D

gallery_10_7_73145.jpg

Looks the business Stephen!! Hope for good photo's on your first light!! Enjoy!

Aggggh! Jealous! Lovely stuff Stephen. Looking forward to seeing the resultant images :)

Guest Kheldar

Thanks all :)

Was a bit hit and miss last night, spent far too long trying to get Alignmaster to .... well align!

Once I finally gave in and pointed the scope manually (I'm sure I bought that GOTO upgrade for a reason ....) all was well.

90 minutes on M101 to process later but in short:

• The 80ED feels brilliant. It's beefy and solid and gave me no issues all night. I'm not convinced it's a travel scope though unless you have gorilla like arms.
  • The reducer is a bit finicky trying to put 2" filters into it. There's not enough finger room! I ended up double stacking a 2" filer to reach the thread .....
  • Reducer + supplied adaptor/spacer + M48 ring + DSLR (didn't measure up yet) gives a rough 11-14% curvature. I'm not sure if this is good, bad or indifferent yet. More testing to be done.
  • EQMod is the best thing since sliced bread. However for pulse guiding you have to turn the rates up to 0.9x else it won't move the mount enough.
  • CDC is going to take some learning, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.
  • Alignmaster .... well let's just say I'm not overly impressed at this point. I shall recheck my home position, and make sure I properly polar align next time before attempting to use the software.
  • DIY mini non powered USB hub ran fine all night, no issues at all (meaning three long cables all in, power to pc and mount, usb from pc to mount)
  • 1M USB cables connected to hub on side of mount did not snag, pull or give any issue with the scope slewing around all over the sky. Granted I didn't point at anything due south and low, but I don't see that being any more of an issue.
  • Despite thinking I had my worms adjusted correctly, there's a couple of binding patches that I will need to address.

In summary, the call from the dark side is indeed strong ....

Edited by Kheldar

Glad the Starwave behaved! I've only done a few solar shots using the Baader zoom into the diagonal but results are pretty good. Looking forward to seeing your results!

Excuse me while I sit here in the corner drooling :wub:

Excuse me while I sit here in the corner completely confused. Hardly understood a word Stephen said.

Excuse me while I sit here in the corner completely confused. Hardly understood a word Stephen said.

Neither did I, I just look at the pictures ;) lol