• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY Astro Power Supply MK 2

TasKiNG

Last year at Kelling my telescope power supply only lasted half of the night so this year I have made a new one which should last all week end :)

It is based on a 100AH leisure battery. It outputs 12V for the Telescope and also outputs 5V. 

It is controlled by an Arduino micro controller which monitors the power outputs and only switches them on if the level is good. 

The Arduino has also been programmed to control up to 4 dew heaters.

There will be a cable from the multi connector to the telescope where there will be a small box that has telescope power and dew heater outputs. Also inside the box will be a Raspberry Pi that is set up for Autoguiding. This should keep the cabling neat as there will be only one lead to the telescope.

PSU_MK2.jpg

Here's a video of it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS1qxn-jTYw

Very smart !! Will it make the tea, cook your meals wake you up if the sky clears , walk the dog feed the gold fish, moan at you as you're spending too long on your hobby!! Lol

No really looks very professional and hitec nice one looking forward to seeing it working at Kelling

You are going to need a few cans of spinach to move that around. You have made a tidy job of it as well, have you done dry runs to see how it performs?

Nice job Dave. I've also made an Arduino powered dew heater controller, just need to get it off the prototype and soldered up.

Thanks Guy's :)

Baz:

Yea its a bit on the heavy side. Wouldn't like to carry it too far :)

No dry runs yet as only just completed. Still need to build the part that attaches to the scope and has the auto guiding, power and dew heater sockets. Should be finished by end of week.

Leigh:

Look forward to seeing your finished controller. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Astroboffin

Very ingenious, I lobe this DIY section of the forum, some of you guys have some great ideas and skills to turn them into reality

:)

AB