• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astronomy iphone apps

Guest @ndyC

Guest @ndyC

Any iphone users out there?

I am looking for some useful iphone apps such as an audible bubble level whilst im adjusting my tripod,angles for my wedge etc.when setting up my celestron 5SE.

Without trying the many available on the app store i would rather hear your opinions and reviews to which you might be using or suggestions to what else you use during set up.

Also any other useful apps you maybe using.I already use a few, such as a messier list app,moon globe map which are handy out outside (apart from ruining my nightvision!).

Thanks everyone. :)

The obvious ones include:

Star walk

Pocket universe

Exoplanet

Jupiter guide

Stellarium

Not sure about ones for setup, sorry.

Felix

Hi Andy,

I reckon Stellarium is brilliant on the iphone.

Another more basic one is called Planisphere.

Sky & Telescopes SkyWeek keeps you informed about what's happening up there everyday of the current week.

Deluxe Moon is a useful app whether you love the moon or consider it light pollution :D It provides lots of info on a calendar basis about the phase, position, rise/set times for sun/moon and lots of other stuff. You can plan out when best to observe it or avoid it. Part of the app gives astrological aspects of the moon, so you can ignore that bit like I do, or have a laugh.

Moon Globe is a pretty detailed photographic zoomable lunar atlas. It provides info on terrain and features.

For planning purposes you need a good weather forecast. I use WeatherPro. If you pay a little extra by subscribing to Premium Status (think it was all of about £3 a year), you get detailed hour by hour info 24 hours a day for the next fortnight and can set your dark sites and holiday destinations on you favourites. It automatically updates to the most recent forecast every time you launch it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete.

I use 'Carpenter', has an inclinometer, 3 types of leveller ans a compass, very handy!

I've seen that Carpenter app. It is very handy until your iphone falls off the top of your tripod onto your patio slabs. Then none of your apps will work :o

I got a *REAL* circular bubble level, and inclinometer off ebay for about £5 each. They worked a treat, and with a red torch, won't ruin your dark adaptation.

Guest @ndyC

Thanks for all your responses so far. Very helpful and have downloaded a few already.

Ive been a member of EMS only a few weeks now and the speedy and sound advice from you all is well appreciated.

Thanks all. :)