• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Beginner Planetary Questions

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Sorry for the basic questions here but I have decided to start doing some planetary imaging alongside visual so have purchased a camera (ASI120) and sorting a laptop and have some very basic set up questions:

1 - I assume a 2x Powermate/Barlow would be a better solution than a 2.5x which may be pushing it a bit with the seeing in UK (OTA is F10 C8)

2 - How do I attach a Powermate/Barlow to the rear of an SCT - do I need an SCT to T adapter and then another adapter for the Powermate/Barlow, or is there a different solution?

3 - Is it better to get a T ring for the top of the Powermate to the camera, or will the 1.25" nosepiece going directly into the Powermate be OK?  The advantage I see with this is you can include a filter if you wanted to at some point, where as I don't see you can if it is screwed in using the threads?

Thanks - and again apologies for the basic questions...

With the Sct for prime focus I'm not 100% sure Paul. Celestron do a visual back to T-adaptor - then I imagine the Televue T-ring screws onto that followed by the Powermate. But you would need to investigate fully cos there may be better arrangements (not done it myself). Rob may have some input here cos he's done prime focus with an 8" Sct. Hope that helps put you in the right direction. :)