• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

kelling 2015 item being stolen

seven_legs

hi all,

just been looking on stargazer lounge and noticed a post about kelling 2015 starparty in which people had some of their stuff nicked. a bit worrying really.

Thanks for the heads up Tony - I've been watching that one for a week or two now and it seems it was mostly low cost stuff like eye piece caps and planispheres. Sounds like either mislaid items or pilfering kids possibly - but it's all a bit inconclusive. If a couple of £300 eyepieces had gone missing I'd be quite alarmed.

Good to keep an eye on the situation though as you say - and always keep your kit as safe as possible. :)

Very odd that two or three planispheres from different folks were lifted - could be misplaced as you say Daz - just odd. I'm thinking maybe kids playing frisbee lol.

I have just read the thread on SGL, it appears that some of the victims were at the end of the blue field down the bottom end, somewhere near where the big Dob was.

This is unsettling, as I just set the scope up ready to go with everything on it and left it out under a cover.

I suspect this is more than likely none astro scrotes doing this, as they clearly have no idea what is valuable and what isn't and clearly taking advantage of peoples trust.

I noticed one or two folks who looked dodgy and there was a lot of folks just wandering by, I will raise my paranoia level to DEFCON II for next year.  :bat:

It's not uncommon at events, mate was telling me how this guy walked onto an mx paddock dressed in motorcross gear, got on this lads bike and then rode off.

This was in daylight, the bike was new and he had to remove it from the stand and then kickstart it too! This was a packed event right next to the track...

Looks like my ccd camera in my tent was a good option did mention this on the SGL thread but got no response to it

Flares and laser beams next year Allan

Maybe not the flares (ruin night vision for entire blue yellow and Red field but like the idea of high energy lasers maybe ones they use for cutting steel lol

Edited by Allan the Plumber

Another good reason for the ems enclave, thieving gits are less inclined to pinch stuff if theres a dozen folks around the gear. Were the thefts from isolated pitches?

Its very dissappointing, I suspect from the low value of the items its probably kids or some klepto, if it were proper thieving it would have been high end stuff, even non astro chav types could spot the difference in value between a plastic dust cap and an eyepiece I,m sure.

But it just highlights the necessity for vigilence.

Another good reason for the ems enclave, thieving gits are less inclined to pinch stuff if theres a dozen folks around the gear. Were the thefts from isolated pitches?

Its very dissappointing, I suspect from the low value of the items its probably kids or some klepto, if it were proper thieving it would have been high end stuff, even non astro chav types could spot the difference in value between a plastic dust cap and an eyepiece I,m sure.

But it just highlights the necessity for vigilence.

Good point Phil :thumbsup:

At EMS4, I'm sure we'll all be vigilant and keep an eye out for each others gear. At least we will be a small close knit community all in one smallish area and will notice any outsiders immediately.

Eyepiece caps - lost underfoot no doubt or in a pocket or box

Planispheres - when was the last time anybody used one or saw one laying about near a scope

a camera or small scope I can understand or maybe a table ,chairs or a laptop, we have all seen these being left about unattanded at star parties but an eyepiece cap ?????