• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dewbands?

RonC

Hoping to pick up a new dew band for my ED80 at the IAS on Saturday. Is there much difference in the offerings available, for instance does paying a bit more get you a much better product or are they pretty much all the same? I have an Astrozap dew band on my MN190 and it is giving sterling service but if there is not much difference in the products i may save some buying a cheaper alternative (or not)??

Cheers

Ron

My bands are all W&W Astro ones. These are at  the cheaper end of the market but seem good quality and work great.

I've fairly recently ordered some Kendrick dew bands Ron. Got them from Altair Astro.

They are the premium dew bands and are a step up in quality to what i was using before. They are really nice, with high quality cords and plugs.

You get what you pay for of course.

http://www.altairastro.com/kendrick-premium-dew-heaters-new-2013.html

Also got a dual one for the binoviewer.....

http://www.altairastro.com/kendrick-premier-binoviewer-eyepiece-heater.html

I used the dew band on the refractor the other night up at Belper.

It performed well. That is until my Skywatcher powercelll died on me after 4 hours.  Something else that will need replacing.... :facepalm:

Edited by Bino-viewer

Rigel do some quite acceptable cheaper end dew bands which have never given me a problem - but I haven't exactly overused them lol. They are noticeably inferior to the Kendrick bands though and I'm sure they won't last as long. Hth :)

Use 1 Kendrick myself, excellent quality, but I've bought two from Flo a couple of months ago, think there astrozap ones and they look well made also.

+1 for R-Sky.

My dew control looks very nicely made. Took just 13 days from Russia to my letterbox and was tracked all the way :)

The Russian wording and weird letters all over the package looks neat.