• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

AVX mount.

Nelson

Hi I am considering purchasing a Celestron edge scope and an AVX mount but the mount does not come with a polar scope as it is an 'optional' but it does have fast polar alignment on any star. Does anyone have this mount and if so could you explain the alignment procedure. Do I need to but a polar scope?

Buy the scope as an ota, and a skywatcher 5 or 6 mount, will help loads if you intended to use it with a PC, plus easier to sell on if you upgrade later.

Yeah go for the azeq6 if it's one of the larger edge models and you'll have a great setup with better future saleability as Rob says [emoji106]ðŸ»

Hi I am totally confused now. After it was suggested by Rob in Nottingham to look at purchasing the scope as an OTA I looked around and found that for only the OTA the cost was similar if not more than if I buy the avx mount and scope together. I know there are different sizes but even the same sized scope is dearer than scope and mount together, what am I missing?

Is the OTA something you would be happy with second hand? Keep an eye open on ABS.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

It might be they have shed loads of these mounts due to people doing what has been said, ie. buy the OTA and then another mount. So they could be doing a bundle deal and keeping the cost of the OTA higher to get you to buy it.

if you bought the scope and mount together you`ll get a good deal as the 8 inch celestron edge ota is about £1145, mount is about another £740 , package if you buy both about £1580 so you`ll save about £300 buying as a package together, i`d be amazed if you can buy the scope and mount cheaper than just the OTA on it`s own, if you can i`d buy it, sell the mount and buy a skywatcher 5 or 6 mount.

the vx mount is an updated version of the old cg5 gt mount.

depends if you just want to do visual, then great, also save yourself some money and get the none edge version, if you want to image then that's another ball game entirely, i`ve been there, and the edge is not going to be your best choice for an imaging scope, fantastic all rounder but expensive to image with and not really the easiest choice.

so best thing is to let us know what your most interested in, a budget you have and you`ll get some good advice and maybe save yourself a few quid along the way and not learn the hard way like me and loads of others have done on the forum, it`s a mine field out there and there`s loads to choose from. 

Hi guys thanks for your replies. I intend to do visual for a start whilst getting used to the gear then I aim to go into imaging, I have a Canon 600 d camera also I have an Explore Scientific 80 mm ed apo telescope, I think I'll be using the ES for imaging so maybe I'm looking for to much with a new mount and scope. But I'm going to get a new setup once I have about £1600 saved up so it won't be for a few weeks yet.

if your looking for the best reasonable priced do all visual and imaging mount then i would certainly go for the heq5 pro or better still the neq6 pro,

if your using your 80mm scope for imaging then i wouldn't bother with the Celestron edge at all, either a 8" normal SCT or better still a 9.25" SCT second hand will save you loads and still give you amazing views on the moon and planets as well as DSO`s from a dark site, if you try to image with a Celestron edge you`ll probably need a reducer which for this model is very expensive, and it`ll still be more difficult to guide with than you 80 mm scope with a shorter focal length which will make a excellent imaging scope with the canon on the back, i`d try and get a flatner for it also.

second hand C8`s come up all the time on astro buy and sell for about £500 for a good one, so you`ve saved yourself over £600 already.

one thing to remember when imaging is to spend money on the mount first, camera second and optics third, you already have two of the 3 things. 

Melvin

Rob is giving you very sound advice there.

The be all and end all of imaging is the mount.  :)

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments, Rob your advice is fabulous, what I will do is look to buy either a heq5 or 6. Then keep my eye out for a scope. I have registered with astrobuysell in order that I will be able to reply to appropriate adverts. Once again thank you all.