• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Poor conditions for obversing this October?

M.

Hi

This morning was really claer untill the cloud rolled in, Venus Jupiter and Mars looked really good close together about 6.30 this morning.

Rick

Blah it's not just you....I've not managed to get out at all for ages. I've got withdrawals lol. Whenever I look out it's wall to wall cloud :( I've not seen the planets in the morning yet either, not managed to catch any gaps in the murk. But on a positive note, I have bought myself a DSLR to play around with, plus an el-cheapo 8-200mm lens, and I just managed to get a quick shot of the near full moon the other night (in between clouds) This was taken with the DSLR and the lens set at 200mm on a wobbly cheap tripod (cos that's how I roll lol) I know I need to work on focus (hard to get with the clouds rolling over it a lot) I did try, it's a bit messy anyway but hey ho, it's all new to me. BTW it's been raining here all day, slight flooding in areas :(

Moon1_zpsj5ordevd.png

Blah it's not just you....I've not managed to get out at all for ages. I've got withdrawals lol. Whenever I look out it's wall to wall cloud :( I've not seen the planets in the morning yet either, not managed to catch any gaps in the murk. But on a positive note, I have bought myself a DSLR to play around with, plus an el-cheapo 8-200mm lens, and I just managed to get a quick shot of the near full moon the other night (in between clouds) This was taken with the DSLR and the lens set at 200mm on a wobbly cheap tripod (cos that's how I roll lol) I know I need to work on focus (hard to get with the clouds rolling over it a lot) I did try, it's a bit messy anyway but hey ho, it's all new to me. BTW it's been raining here all day, slight flooding in areas :(

Moon1_zpsj5ordevd.png

That's not at all bad for a DSLR on its own. When the Moon prevents constellation and deep sky photography, I shoot the Moon. I was clouded out last night, though and got thick cloud this morning.