• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Advice on telescopes

Guest netspy7

Guest netspy7

Hi guys ive been looking at a couple of telescopes on Ebay can i have some feed back on them please as im new to this

The item numbers are

And

Thanx guys

Can you post the links to the items directly, will make them easier to find. (my phone thinks they are telephone numbers) :/

Hi guys ive been looking at a couple of telescopes on Ebay can i have some feed back on them please as im new to this

The item numbers are

And

Thanx guys

320866382949 = Celestron 130 On CG-3 EQ Mount

380415991811 = Seben Big Boss 1400-150 Reflector on "a mount" not sure which.

Is easier if you post the eBay Listing as a link in future.

I am no expert I will let the other more experienced guys advise you :)

I've heard bad things about "Big Boss" scopes, not sure where I read it now. For that kind of money you would be better to go for something from Skywatcher, the quality is apparently better than Celestron at the same price range. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of the hobby, both short term and if you have any future plans. Certainly most people seem to suggest a Dobsonian Mount as the most user friendly for a new user. They are also considerably cheaper £ per inch of appature (dia), the bigger the appature the more light you can gather meaning you see more detail.

I'd go for a skywatcher dob

I will second that ;) we are both biased though :)

I will second that ;) we are both biased though :)

I will third that as well. :)

But then I am also biased. :)

But getting a scope depends on a number of factors including what do you want to see, do you want to do astrophotography, do you want a scope that will track, how much do you want to spend etc etc.

For the price those two scopes are going for, like mentioned above, you would be best getting a Skywatcher dobsonion, good quality beginners scope and you can get decent appature for your cash.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Netspy7,

Would not buy either from ebay. Although there is a lot of bad press for Seben some of their accessories are ok. However in the ad the clue is 'catadioptric system' this means that to achieve the focal length they have put a spurious lens into the optical path, in this model I believe it is in the focus holder..I don't think half a dozen fringe killers would help the chromatic aberration caused by this in an instrument like a Newtonian that does not suffer from ca.

The celestron is a good scope but you do not know what afterservice you may get should there be a problem, its coming from Tring so a round trip in fuel = £40. If you do buy off ebay go and see it first, or try Astro Buy & Sell or the for sale section here.

Bang for buck the chaps above have it right! a Dobsonian is best value, if you find one second hand then you should find it will come with a couple of eps that are of some use and not the generally poor ones that come as part of an off the shelf package.

Cheers

Guest netspy7

Ok thanks for the help guys ill look at skywatchers and thanx for the heads up about ebay links.

I have had a go with a childs scope with my daughter with not much luck so then got a jessops 800/80 reflector from a friend for £20.

I could see the moons of jupiter and that was me hooked. So much to see but need to get an entry level to get started and learn before moving onto more expensive equipment.

Cheers again guys and what a friendly forum

Hi.

Your getting there but I still would not use e-bay.

Try here.........

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/

This is where I get most (but not all) of my kit, good after sales, reputable, prices are not too bad either.

Also, have a look in the member gallery for some ideas of scopes, a few shots of my Skywatcher dob are in there.

But have a look around FLO's website, check out the telescope section, read some of the reviews then ask any questions on here.

Regards, (and happy hunting)

Daz.

P.s, if you can make it to one of our darksite meets then you can check our scopes out and have a go before you buy, we don't mind, failing that, if you fancy the drive, you can pm me and you can come round and have a look at my set up if you wish?

Edited by Daz type-r

It's a good entry level scope and mount - finder is a bit naff but replaceable. The motor is worth around £65 alone (assuming it's a brand new scope). FLO's a better retailer with guaranteed good after sales service - but the scope will cost as much without the motor.

I would check if it has a parabolic mirror - if the seller doesn't know then he's not qualified to be selling scopes - worth bearing in mind.

The scope will show you all the planets and moon very nicely and most of the brighter dso's - but it will struggle to see the deep faint fuzzies and most will be out of range. It'll need an eyepiece upgrade to make the views clearer though the supplied ones will work in the right conditions.

Personally - I'd spend a little more and go with a recognised astro retailer - when you know more about scopes and what to look for, then is the time to go bargain hunting on ebay :)

Plus if it arrives damaged, and they do as they are packed in large boxes and the couriers are not very careful, a proper retailer like FLO will replace the item, I cannot imagine E-Bay doing that.

Guest netspy7

Cheers daz i just been on that site they have the same scope with same motorized tripod £10 cheaper than ebay and like you guys said if it gets damaged in transit it gets replaced. Where abouts do you live Daz i might take u up on the offer to take a look

Cheers Paul

Hucknall, pm me if interested and I will send full address. Or check out my profile, will give you a rough idea.

Also, as well as my kit (see signature below) I still have the mother in laws Skywatcher 130P sync scan goto, so you can have a look at that as well.

• 2 weeks later...