• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

zoom eyepiece ?

cosmic dave

Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece. They are brilliant I use mine every session. Great clarity and good FOV for the money. £174 delivered from FLO. There are a few fans of this particular model on here. I use the Mark 3 but I hear the mark 2 is good also. ;)

Edited by catman161

Another Baader Hyperion Zoom user here. Before this ep I only had the stock eps that came with the scope. So this is a vast improvement, really happy with mine and the versatility it provides.

Another Baader here Dave, well worth the money!!

You're welcome to bring your scope over and try it?

Edited by Ron Clarke

The Skywatcher one is great value for money punt at around £50 new - and the Meade is a better eyepiece alltogether. But they are both totally trounced by the Hyperion wich came second only to Pentax and TV in a SaN group test 18mths ago. I have the Hyperion and it's great quality and very versatile at a totally realistic price. :)

On the face of it they seem like good value when you consider the range you are getting. It's about the same as buying 4 x BST's. What is the quality of the views in comparison to BST's? Obviously like for like focal lengths.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Mike,

Its one of those horses for courses questions. I have an 8mm BST and a 5mm Hyperion, i use them both and the view is really similar, the Hyperion just a bit more contrasty but more than twice the cost. When on hol I take my 8-24mm zoom, its great and provides a decent range without taking a skipload of kit.

I don't have the Hyperion zoom to compare but if I am in grab & go its the zoom, at home its the primes. The only way for you to compare the BST's v Hyperion Zoom is to use in your scope for your eyes for an objective review !!.

Cheers

If you make it to one of our dark site meets you are more than welcome to borrow mine for a bit.

Guest Darrian

Dave ... I havent got a Baader Hyperion Zoom .....

But you can bet on the 28th of March (Payday) I will be popping off to RVO to go and pick one up .. I honestly dont think i have seen a bad report about these EP's and it was in an earlier discussion with Felix and Kim that put me on the road to getting one . :)

What I mean is, do you compromise quality with the zoom? IE if set to 8mm how would it compare to other 8mm fixed EP's etc and so forth..

A fixed eyepiece in the same range usually fares better than the zoom at the the same field stop. With the Baaders though the difference is very very close - so close as to not really be a bother in general observing. The Zoom wins out (imho) on it's flexibility and general workhorse use, and you can allways move to fixed stop once the target is in the frame.

The zoom is very contrasty, little or no internal reflections, has a good twist up eye cup for good relief, dead useful in polar alignment, smashing for grab and go, works teriffic on a PST, and has a thread for attaching adaptor ring and dslr (with T-ring), and can be rigged for both 1.25" and 2". As for price - it's a little dearer than the eyepiece kits beginners seem to be attracted too - but well worth the extra £30 or so cos it brings any starter scope alive compared to supplied ep's - significantly superior in quality. :)

Thanks Kim, that explains very nicely indeed. Best get saving then I s'pose :rolleyes: nobody breathe a word to SWMBO tho, you ain't seen me, right? :ph34r:

Guest Darrian

Thanks Kim, that explains very nicely indeed. Best get saving then I s'pose :rolleyes: nobody breathe a word to SWMBO tho, you ain't seen me, right? :ph34r:

who said that?

Mike, you need to explain to her that one fairly expensive zoom will save lots of money compared to buying 4 or 5 Hyperion fixed ep's ! :D

Best thing is to order it just before she starts her shifts ;) that way when it arrives, she'll not be here :lol: