• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Balancing with finders

PolygonPi

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, that I should have figured out months ago. How do you keep an equatorial scope balanced at different declinations when it has finders hanging off it?

I can put the scope level and slide it until it's balanced, but if the finders are on top then the centre of mass doesn't stay over the balance point when you point it at the sky. I could rotate the tube to keep the COM perpendicular to the Dec axis (but then the eyepiece is in an awkward place), or attach some other counterweight opposite the finders, or just not worry about it. What's the usual approach?

Guest CodnorPaul

Yes I don't think a minor shift in balance from a finder would have much impact. Mine is off centre so when I balance to the right it is always marginally off to the left - never had any problems, just get it as close as you can

Cool, ta. Just checking because I caused some mild alarm last time I was out with people, when I left the clutch off and turned away and the tube started spinning...

I used to use some of those neodymium magnets that you can just stick to your scope where needed to balance. I found you only needed a couple place in the correct position.

More good advice is...

Don't fit too many finders.

Don't have them too heavy.

:facepalm:

:P:D:lol::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's a classic Pete, good advice there.......