• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flats not quite right

Brady

Has anyone ever had flats processed in DSS come out black?..i know what your thinking...mixed up with Bias/Darks...well ive double checked everything time after time and even ran the process a few times with the same result...reinstalled DSS just in case i have changed something that i cannot find...same result...the only thing i can put it down to is the light from my diy lightbox, the frames have a bluish tinge to them but comes out black on the master, a couple of snaps if anyone can help

Taken in AV mode iso 800

Thanks

Single frame..

FRAME_zpsmfirv1og.pngMaster..

LIGHTBOX%20MASTER%20ISO800%20AV%20MODE_z

sorry i`m a bit puzzled by this as well, there are a few settings in dss at the bottom left of the screen that allow you to set the white balance and also check the stacking parameters, also you can set dss back to it`s default settings from there so you don`t have to re install it, in the parameters i usually go for average or median and make sure the button is ticked. 

I use the same average or median and have even tried the others with no luck, white balance has been changed again with no effect, i didnt know about that default Rob and im sure it will get some use, anyway ran it again with the same results so i can only assume its how the flat comes out after stacking, maybe something to do with the light box LEDs? i know DSS says color doesn't matter but just didnt think that included black  :)

A stacked image of Triangulum taken Saturday night, the brownish tinge in the center left looks like the gradient on the black image, i think im going to have problems with this...

Triangulum%20Starter_zps1hrjmjpk.png

Edited by Brady

Give me a run down on how you are taking these.

What settings on the camera are you using.

Speed, image capture mode ect.

Alright Graham, camera was in AV mode, that chose 1/400 or 1/500 for the histogram but cant remember which, ISO800, light box running 30 leds.

I have come to the conclusion thats its the light box thats given me the trouble, looking at the histogram taken with one of the images its looking like the channels are all over the place wouldn't you agree?, will i have to process the images one at a time to bring that blue back down? or add a different colour led to compensate?, i have ordered different bulbs as im being told incandescent are a better solution in the long run, for a couple of quid its worth a shot

Lightbox%20Histogram_zpscwcyrpmu.jpg