• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dob Tracking Platforms : any opinions ?

Bino-viewer

Hello guys.......

The Dob mount (from Orion Optics) is ready to be picked up.  :D

Its taken 9 weeks !  :angry: but that wasn't too big a problem for me with my busted feet.

I'll have to wait a week /  before i can get up to OO though. 

My plaster cast comes off this Friday !  :rockon:

Anyway the purpose of this post is to discuss Dob tracking platforms.

Has anyone seen or used them ?

For those not familiar with them, here is some detailed info :

http://www.reinervogel.net/index_e.html?/Plattform/Plattform_e.html

And here is a video of one at work, tracking with a 12" Dob on Jupiter at 400x magnification. Impressive stuff.

>https://youtu.be/GdDqhkTxDd4

I'm not experianced with Dobsonians out in the field.

I do use an alt-az mount though with my refractor,  and am fully used to manually tracking with it.

But the DM6 that i use is in a slightly different league to the crude offering from Orion Optics.

I've tried OO Dobs at Astrofest & the IAS shows a few times, just to see how they feel, and i'm not convinced they'll

be that easy to manually track with, particularly at higher powers. I shall soon find out.

With all this in mind, it was always in my gameplan, at some point, to look into buying (or even making) one of these platforms.

I'm sure at a meet, or at an outreach event, to be able to have a tracking ability would be invaluable.

It also opens up some lunar or planetary imaging possibilities.....

There used to be a UK based maker of them, but they have now ceased production.  :(

TS in Germany have a few on their site.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c20_Mounts-----Equatorial.html

This one below caught my eye, made by the Italian company Geoptik.

Not cheap of course, but then again not much in this hobby is.

Hopefully a purchase for 2016 ? 

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2700_Geoptik-Dobsonian-platform---motor-tracking-for-telescopes-up-to.html

22445639764_76200dcddc.jpg22650061627_4c82cc16f7.jpg

I looked and thought about these. But then decided that if I want it to track might as well just mount it on an eq. I've never had much problem with mine at out reach events, except for the odd kid knocking it round a bit, but usually looking at bright easy to find objects so no problem to realign.

I see what you mean Andy.

But i really don't want to go down the EQ mount route again.

Way too much cost and aggro. Wires, counterweights, PA, noisy motors.....No thanks.  I'd also need something major to mount a 10" F6.3 Newt.

Different matter if i had an observatory.

To me the beauty of these platforms is their simplicity.

And they work just as well with a 20" scope as a 10" scope.

If i were to one day upgrade my scope to say a 14 or a 16, i'm still covered by something like the Geoptik above.

I've never used an equatorial platform, but they are obviously essential for photography and could be very useful at outreach events.

For general visual use they are nice if you can afford one but a lot of money for what they do. If you are ever able to use 400x on Jupiter and you are using an average eyepiece at 50 degree apparent field then in your scope stood still, the planet would pass from one side of the field to the other in about 30 seconds. That would be quite difficult to track especially if there was any sticktion in the mount. Mostly you will be using much lower powers and hence wider fields, so at one degree every 4 minutes, manual tracking is much easier. Another, also expensive, way around the problem is to buy some 100 degree eyepieces and the planet will take twice as long to fly by :)

It really depends on how you observe.

How long do you look at an object. If it's only a few minutes on each object then you are better of with a wider field of view eyepiece. If you like prolonged viewing, sketching or photography then I would say they are a must have item.

How long do you look at an object. If it's only a few minutes on each object then you are better of with a wider field of view eyepiece. If you like prolonged viewing, sketching or photography then I would say they are a must have item.

You managed to do some marvellous sketches with your 16" without a platfom Mick :thumbsup:

I can see that a tracking platform would help a lot with sketching.

I think its the potential for some lunar / planetary imaging thats got me more interested in them Pete.

I don't normally observe at really high powers.

185x is my current max with the refractor / mark V / 2.6x and 13 Naglers.

I've used this power plenty of times and on occasion wish i'd got a bit more, hence the decision to look at 10mm eyepieces.

The new Dob, however with its longer fl has the potential to go upto 209x using the current bino.

I don't recall ever measuring how long Jupiter takes to pass through my fov.

The N13s have an 82* field. At a guess its around 90 seconds ?

Much easier to work with my DM6 at high power, than with a Dob mount though i reckon ?

That was the word i was looking for Pete......Stiction ! (without the K  ;) )

I'm sure the OO dob mount will have a bit of it....!

I must say though how much i'm looking forward to trying out this Dob.

Really enjoying planning all the various mods i can do to it.

But, i really want it to be a grab & go type scope with a decent 'optical clout'

Just the tube (fairly light and manoeuvrable) the OO mount (bombproof) and a tracking platform if req.

I can understand your reasoning Rob. It would certainly be a nice bonus to have a tracking platform on the Dob. I reckon that with a bit of practice you will be nudging the Dob arounf just like you do the refractor on the DM6.

It is great fun planning these projects, and makes best use of the current weather we are getting :thumbsup:

On a good sharp night, i've spent 20 mins or more just looking at Jupiter without a break.

One of the beauties of binoviewing Mick : no eye strain  :)

And 82* fov is good for high power, and works well in the bino. So no need for Ethos, etc.

I'm just wondering if the credit card can take another big hit......?

Personally I would wait a bit Rob until you have used your new dob a bit. You might find it's not needed.

More important would be to raise your dob higher then what it is to save your back.

way around the problem is to buy some 100 degree eyepieces and the planet will take twice as long to fly by :)

Corrrr, wished I thought of that, ohh hang on, I did!!!

:P

Edited by Daz Type-R

Yes of course i shall give it plenty of runs first to see how things are.

And one good way of raising your Dob higher, is to put a tracking platform under it !  :takeabow:

i'm already working at 1600mm fl so a platform would add about 125-150mm on to that.

As for my back (which thankfully, is miles better than my feet) i have this in mind  :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/mey-observing-chair.html

It has some good reviews.

Yes of course i shall give it plenty of runs first to see how things are.

And one good way of raising your Dob higher, is to put a tracking platform under it !  :takeabow:

i'm already working at 1600mm fl so a platform would add about 125-150mm on to that.

As for my back (which thankfully, is miles better than my feet) i have this in mind  :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/mey-observing-chair.html

It has some good reviews.

You'll be applying for another credit card :o

Paper less statements - works wonders when you purchase a few of those "cheap" American EP's......

• Like 2

Guest HykehamObservatory

I bought a 12 inch Dob from Orion Optics in 2006. I modified it to go on my German Equatorial Mount. Worst decision I have made in a long time. The wind kept moving the scope- even not enough wind to move the flowers would move it.

I decided to make my own dual axis equatorial platform and put the tube back on the original Dobsonian mount. Much more stable. It is made of 18mm plywood, a couple of EBay motors and gearboxes, and a lot of bits from my scrap box. Cost less that £100 and gives me good images of the Moon at F20.

Definitely worth building one. It tracks for about 45minutes before I have to reset it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2015, 18:33:50, Bino-viewer said:

There used to be a UK based maker of them, but they have now ceased production.  :( 

Aren't these guys still going? Watchhouse equatorial platforms?

Ah - as it turns out - they have packed up!

Shame about that.

Edited by DaveJW
Mishtake

They were one of the few who made them in the UK Dave.

Thanks for the link.

Apparently the chap who ran Watchhouse retired and they ceased production.

Shame really. There must be a market for these things in the UK.

Could be a good business venture for someone with the right skills......

On 30/11/2015 20:06:33, Bino-viewer said:

They were one of the few who made them in the UK Dave.

Thanks for the link.

Apparently the chap who ran Watchhouse retired and they ceased production.

Shame really. There must be a market for these things in the UK.

Could be a good business venture for someone with the right skills......

Yes I would think so too...

Thanks Alan, Pete.

I was away in Bournemouth over the weekend, and had missed this.

I've PM'd the seller........