• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

can anyone identify this scope?

Guest hadden

Guest hadden

hi everyone.iv been told to start with some bins so i started searching for some but im on a swapz website and i put an advert on for a telescope/bins and iv been offered this.it has no make on it or serial numbers.im swapping for a gasless mig which i dont need as iv upgraded to a mig.i know its a long shot but any help would be brill.thanks all

Guest netspy7

Hi it looks a bit like jessops 800/80 but cant be sure has it got a tripod with it. Also how much is your welder worth because jessops have dropped the price from 100 to 39 with star finder and tripod + 2 eye peices

Have a look at this link i could be wrong

Hope this helps

Paul

/>http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75447/show.html

Guest hadden

hiya netspy.he is going to find the tripod tonight so i should know for sure when i see it if it is this one..i know this one is a cheapo one, and everyone sais start with some bins but i dont like the thought of using bins.not saying there no good or anything like that but i just want a scope.would this be ok as a starter scope for a couple of months until i fully learn the skies??also how do the star finders work??

Guest hadden

hiya.he has just txt me and said the lense is 150mm wide the scope is 890mm long and he is still looking for the tripod.cant be the jessops one as thats 80mm i think.

Guest Tweedledum

Walk away fom this....Does not look like 150mm, might be tube diameter. How much is your gasless mig (i am guessing this is a mixed inert gas welding rig) kit worth --- more than this I am sure.

Guest hadden

hiya,its the type of mig which uses flux cored wire and its worth around 80-100 so not a shed load but ill check with him.what should look out for when i do get one,if its this one or a different one.

Guest netspy7

I have the jessops 80/800 i got it from a m8 for £20 its ok ive used it a couple of times. But to be honest as soon as i get paid im upgrading. But only because ive seen other peoples pictures and have been given sound advise on this forum. Im only a newbie myself and the guys on here have been very helpfull it will pay to listen to them. But if u really are thinking about getting a scope i would sell ur mig on ebay and buy the scope from jessops you cant go wrong for less than £40 all in and you could always take it back. The star finder i was on about is like a scope that sits on top and helps you line up.Let us know how you go on

Paul

Whatever it is, by a quick bit of measuring, the length is approx 7 x the OD of the tube. That makes it most likely IMO to be 80 x 800 as the mirror (80mm) will be smaller than the OD of the tube by quite a way. It's certainly not 150mm Mirror x 890mm long, no chance. I would walk away if I were you, the Mig is worth more than the £20 this scope appears to be worth IMO. Migs sell well on eBay, why not sell your Mig on there and use the cash to buy something? You ought to be able to find a half decent 2nd hand 130 at least for the sort of money you are likely to get from selling the Mig.

Whatever it is, by a quick bit of measuring, the length is approx 7 x the OD of the tube. That makes it most likely IMO to be 80 x 800 as the mirror (80mm) will be smaller than the OD of the tube by quite a way. It's certainly not 150mm Mirror x 890mm long, no chance. I would walk away if I were you, the Mig is worth more than the £20 this scope appears to be worth IMO. Migs sell well on eBay, why not sell your Mig on there and use the cash to buy something? You ought to be able to find a half decent 2nd hand 130 at least for the sort of money you are likely to get from selling the Mig.

Good advice.!!!

DO NOT get a Jessops scope, you will only be dissapointed. They are cheap for a reason!

I know you keep saying you want a scope, but you will see far more detail with a £100 pair of bino's than you will from a Jessops scope of around the same price.

Guest hadden

hi all.i asked again and the lense is 130mm.the od of the barrel is 150mm.i used to sell alot of cars parts on ebay as i had my own small salvage business.and in complete honesty all 167 sales i made at least half either didn't turn up and the other half came with the intention of bargaining me down after the auction had ended so iv give up with ebay.i only buy off there now.i might go and have a look and see what i think.oh and got another picture with it on the tripod.i will add it in a min.

cheers all

I sell around 5,000 items a year on eBay, I have maybe 3 a year that are trouble, car sales are a lot different, trust me ;)

Guest hadden

its just put me off selling.too many money sucking bugars out there..dont know what to do with this scope.it looks fairly big and he sais its all good.what could be wrong with it.i know next to nothing about them so i would think the bigger the scope the better the view?or am i a mile off with that quote lol

To be honest it just doesn't look right to my un-trained eye. If it really is 130mm dia mirror, that would make the tube (judging from the picture I hasten to add) 1050mm or more in length, which doesn't quite add up to what he's telling you. I'd say if you have your heart set on it, then go have a good look at it. Personally I would stay well clear.

As far as you saying bigger = better, to a degree yes, but.......

A scope is only as good as the optics. You can't beat quality with size in this game, you need both. A good 80mm scope will give you better results than a bad 200mm. Eyepieces make a world of difference too. It looks to be in need of TLC, which may mean the mirrors might be in a state. It will definately need collimating I'm sure, which don't get me wrong, almost every scope will, but if it's a long way out you might not get anything like a good sight through it which might put you off. Given the persons lack of clear information it would appear they might not know much about it, which isn't always a bad thing, but for a newcomer I would suggest it would be better to buy from somebody who knows a bit about the scope they are selling etc, that way they should be able to help point you in the right direction.

Please don't be put off by what I am saying as such, you need to be wary of getting your fingers burnt though. I'm in Derby too, you're more than welcome to pop up and have a look at my scope sometime, if it's clear have a look through it even. I'm new to it all too, but I read a lot on this and other forums and have learnt a lot from them. I can probably point you roughly in the right direction, I just can't give exact directions as I'm still finding my way too.

Guest hadden

well iv took your advice and walked away.i was going to go have a look lastnight but i sat down and did some proper research and decided against it.i txt him asking more questions to which all his answers were "i dont know anything about it but my dad sais is a good one" and judging from the picture with the tripod,the background doesnt look too apealing.if he cant look after his garden whats he like with his scope etc etc.so the search continues lol

I think you have made a sensible decision, there are some good scopes out there, for the right money.

As you have already done, ask here, you will get good advice.

There is one out there with your name on it.

Guest hadden

lets hope so because its nights like tonight when i wish i had one because the skies are clear as a whistle.but on the plus side i got my missus to look up properly tonight and now she is amazed and is wanting me to get one.so the budget is getting bigger by the minute lol

Guest Tweedledum

Looking at the exterior, if the mirror has been as well looked after you may as well had shoved a tin of hammerite on it..

Good decisionnow you can look at your leisure before parting with hard earned cash.!!

Cheers